Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Love One Another

I just have one more thing to say about politics.

I understand that today is the day after the election, and that half of us are disappointed and the other half are elated. It's just an emotional day.

BUT, brothers and sisters in Christ, just because someone is of a different political persuasion than you does not mean they are stupid, purely emotional, or lacking in morals.

I have friends and family on both sides, and, on top of that, I come from the conservative south and live in the liberal northeast. What that has taught me is that just as people on both sides can spout brainless rhetoric, people on both sides can have well-thought-out reasons for believing what that believe. And most of the Christians I know, both Republicans and Democrats, have come to their political conclusions based on Christian conviction.

So I humbly exhort us all to be kind and love one another for the sake of protecting our unity in Christ more than our solidarity with a particular political party.


Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellow man has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:8

But God has combined the members of the body . . . so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.
1 Corinthians 12:24-25