Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Completely Impractical

So I want to hear from you all on this one. Leave a comment and tell me what you would collect if it weren't completely impractical to do so.

Whether it's too expensive, too large, too kid-unfriendly, etc., what would it be? What just sends your heart aflutter? What is it that--if you were surrounded by it--would make you oh so happy and make your heart sing?

Mine would be dishes.

I have discovered that I love dishes. I would have like fifty different sets, if I could. I love to browse through the dinnerware sections of Williams-Sonoma and even Target.

Here are some of my recent favorites:

My dishes are white, which I like, because I can pretty much pick up any white serving dish to supplement my set, and it will coordinate successfully. Plus, pretty much any table linens make white dishes pop. Right now, I really want a soup tureen, like this one, because I am going to be serving a soup at Thanksgiving. Wouldn't it be nice to serve it out of a beautiful bowl like this on the table?

When Nathan and I got married, I registered at Williams-Sonoma, and I very nearly registered for this. The reason I didn't was because I just didn't think I would use it all that much for a long while. Back then, I particularly loved things that had a Renaissance look to them because that's the period of poetry and literature that I love the best. I still think this platter is pretty dang cool. It'd look pretty awesome in a dining room with a large fireplace and a thick oak table.

I'm also liking this Christmas platter. It's just festive:
And oh my gosh, I LOVE these. And do you know where I found them just now? Target.com. They are so perfectly ME.

So what would your totally impractical collection be? Converse shoes in every color? Teacups? Cars? Fabric? Pets? Footie pajamas? Do tell.

By the way, Mom, I really hope you're willing me all the different china sets, along with the crystal dessert plates. I want them ALL.

:)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! What will Ken and Meredith say about my Saks Fifth Avenue Lenox Deluxe 24 KT gold rimmed servingware for 36 all going to YOU? hummmm.....
And if you think my dishes are THAT nice, I have some orange flowered Correll, too, that you and Mer can fight over.
I know the plates you really want. You want the glass decorative snack plates Grandma gave me. Meredith already told me she loves Grandma Irma's vintage dishes.......
I see a problem ahead.
love,
mom

Deborah said...

Sounds like you and your mom have the same collection obsession :)I really like all those dishes though!

Hmm..I'd have to say "yes" to converse shoes in every color as well as all types of hats. Also books and plays- I'd love to have a real old-fashioned library/study in my dream house. The kind with a rolling ladder, rich wood, and wine-red carpets.

Anonymous said...

I would say land. I'd like to have a ranch that fills the triangle between Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. And I might as well go ahead and call my ranch "Texas."

Deborah said...

What about "Phil land" instead? :)

FitzandMolly said...

I'm with you. Dishes. But I love vintage ones. I want my grandmother's fiesta ware, and another set that has gorgeous leaves in fall colors. My mother has them all, and it will be a huge fight between me and my sisters. I just told my mom on Sunday that I really want a soup tureen! And then table linens would have to be next on my list.

Katie said...

I already sort of do this to a small extent, but if money were no object I would buy books all the time-and they would all be hardcover!

Anonymous said...

Okay, even more than land, I would totally collect super powers if it weren't "impractical" to do so.

That's right, super powers! =)

Anonymous said...

I think I would collect confortable clothes like soft pj's and velour outfits. Just because it's now freezing here and I want to stay warm and comfortable as much as possible!
Other than that I say ticket stubs from every concert that inspires me in New England, probably Christian ones but if Clay Walker ever heads this way, I wouldn't be partial.

Anonymous said...

I'd collect (adopt) homeless dogs and cats. At is, we only have space for one.

A little more off the wall, I'd collect baby shoes. They're all just so cute.