So we think Noah may have colic. He is so incredibly fussy sometimes, and we've narrowed it down to some kind of digestive issue. He usually starts crying about an hour after he's been fed, and he calms down only after gas--or something else--comes out his nether end. The thing is, it is not easy to help his little system move along, so the poor child is wailing uncontrollably and we can't do anything to help him.
We've tried bouncing, swaying, swinging, cuddling, swaddling, burping, massaging, singing, shushing, heat, a pacifier, chamomile tea, Mylicon drops, doing all this upright, doing all this on his back, and probably more that I can't think of right now.
I will say that last night went pretty well, after we finally got him to go to sleep (a process which has been taking a couple of very stressful hours the last few nights). I figured out a little system during the night last night--feed, burp, belly massage, Mylicon drops, put him to bed. Ha! I guess I figure that I might as well throw the whole arsenal at the problem. It did seem to work--he went 3.5 hours between feedings and didn't cry much. We'll see how today goes. I have a feeling that this evening will be tough again, though.
Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have any brilliant ideas about what to do?
**UPDATE** The nurse at the pediatrician's office just called, said it just sounds like gas and that he's going into the baby fussy period that peaks at six weeks. She suggested we lay him on his belly on a firm surface for about 5 minutes after each feeding, then to sit him upright for 30 minutes or so. At least we know there's a light at the end of the tunnel!
9 comments:
Awww...being that I have no kids, the only thing I can suggest is prayer :) don't worry, you'll get through it!
Oh we're definitely doing that! We prayed for extra portions of patience and love. :)
We give lots of Mylicon at work (pediatric hospital) Hope he gets through this phase soon!
Bless your hearts. This part is so hard. Curt and I would get so desperate during Jackson's fussy hours that we would both be to the point of tears. I remember 6 weeks being really tough, but the good news is that it IS going to pass and get easier and easier. I remember the third month being blissful in comparison. I will pray for y'all!
I had to delete ALL milk products from our third baby's diet (which meant absolutely NO dairy for mom). It helped some . . . not the cure all.
After she turned one, we finally realized that she had acid reflux (but she never threw up so we never believed it). Everytime she ate, she was evidently in pain. She cried NON STOP. I won't tell you for how many weeks, months, etc. :)
i have twins that were born right before noah, they are about 7 weeks old and one of the twins is on meds for reflux. he would cry so much, scream, ball up and arch his back. he has been on meds for about a week and is getting less fussy. he has his moments but they are getting better and better. we do mylicon drops like they are going out od style as well and keep him elevated... gas is such an issue i think will all newborns... i pray that noah gets better! as i am told... this will also pass.
This sounds really weird, but someone suggested goat's milk for our daughter because she was SO fussy and never seemed satisfied. It worked for her.
She and her brother are only 19 months apart and there were times I thought I was going to go a little crazy. I'd put her down and she'd start crying. When she finally slept, he'd be awake and going strong.
She looks at her baby pictures now and she's always smiling. She doesn't believe my stories.
It's so worth every part of sleep deprivation etc.
Hang in there!
There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there my friend! We used "Gripe Water" with Wesley every night and that seemed to work well. Also, try laying off the dairy, acidic and gas producing foods. This too shall pass my friend! Hang in there! Praying for you and little Noah!
Our girl has acid reflux and was diagnosed at 2 weeks. She was fussy and uncomfortable after feedings but didn't spit up much. She's on Axid 2 times a day. Acid reflux can damage the esophagus and digestive tract if left untreated and undiagnosed. Maybe you could ask your Dr about it? We had a totally different baby after we started on Axid. She's a few months old now and doing great! We also put a wedge in her crib to raise her head above her chest when she slept. You can buy them for liek $12 at Babies R Us. Good luck and prayers!
Post a Comment