Saturday, August 14, 2010

Missing

For the past week or so, I've really been missing New England. It really has a lot to do with fall and the fact that I'm not going to get to see one bit of it this year. Over the past several days, a succession of things have happened that have made me yearn for autumn, and with each one I've felt a pang in my chest.

It all started when I got an L.L. Bean catalog in the mail. It was full of pictures that made my heart ache. Pictures of people walking through the colorful woods the gentle autumnal light. (Pang!)

Then, the other day, a friend outside of Boston posted a picture on Facebook--a picture of her car's thermometer, which read 64 degrees. (Pang!)

I listened to one of our old pastor's recent sermons on my iPod and missed our church. (Pang!)

A friend in Houston is going to New England in October and asked me for a list of things to do, which just meant I wrote down everything that I am not going to get to do this fall. It really made me miss apple picking and sweaters, among other things. (Pang!)

Nathan's parents visited their cabin in New Mexico and reported that the days were in the 70's and that it got down into the 40's at night. (Pang!) And that the air was clear and dry. (Pang!) And that there were no mosquitoes. (Oh! Double pang!)

And because I wanted to see pictures of Noah from a year ago, I went to August 2009 on my blog, and the first post was this one, in which I said this:
"It's getting cooler here, y'all. As in, it's not going to get out of the 70's for the forseeable future (for at least the next week, anyway). Today it's not even going to hit 70. I am barely holding myself back from getting excited about fall. So I'm not going to post about how much I love fall and how much I will enjoy apple picking and pumpkin dip.
Dang! I just realized I can't have fresh cider this year because it's unpasteurized. Stink! I'll have to be satisfied with butternut squash soup and crisp air. I am already inspired to make a scarf. And speaking of which, I need to go buy some maternity sweaters! I love sweaters!"
(Pang. Pang. Pang.)

Although I haven't done it yet, I wouldn't be surprised if I shed some tears over autumn before the season is over. Boo.

And missing some good friends like these guys just might be part of the reason I'm missing my old home, too!
(That's the Robinson family, right after they threw us a really sweet going away party. We miss them and many other friends, too!)

3 comments:

Sara Robinson said...

Awww...The Robinsons really really miss the Beneshes too!!!!

julia said...

I love the fall, but yesterday Stop&Shop was selling mums and scarecrows! Is that really necessary in mid-Agust???

Liz said...

People at Baylor (i.e. Texans) could never figure out why i was constantly whining about there being no seasons from pretty much August-November. And then I'd look up at the trees (at least Baylor had some big ones) and exclaim with exasperation, "Argh, why doesn't Texas have any trees?!" And people would point to some scrawny Mesquite tree or something and tell me that was a tree. I would look at them and inform them that did not count as a real tree. I think one tree at Baylor turned colors and it was like yellow, and all the leaves fell off in a day.

My b-day is September (yours is too, right?) and I have always loved Fall most of all. I feel ya.