*Update on Tuesday* I changed my tactics a little bit today, and we had a better day. Noah only had four accidents today, as opposed to about ten yesterday. He still has a long way to go, but at least we are headed in the right direction! And thanks, everyone, for the encouragement.
-----
Oh my gosh, somebody please help me.
Today is our first day of intensive potty training. I think that pretty much says it all.
We are staying home today, and I am setting a timer to go off every 15 minutes. When it goes off, we go to the potty. Noah gets a sticker for every time his underwear is dry, and then he has to sit on the potty and try to go. We did not have one accident until 10:30, which I thought was pretty good. And then, THEN we had an accident six out of the seven following 15 minute increments.
How is it that he can pee on the potty, then pee AGAIN like five minutes later? And do that like six times in a row?!?
I bought six pairs of training pants. Needless to say, I am washing all of them at the moment, including the super yucky poopy one. Noah is currently wearing a pull-up, which is fine since it's almost nap time, anyway, but geez!
I think one thing Noah will have to overcome is his nonchalance about having a wet or dirty diaper. He has never cared one bit if his diaper is dirty--not once in his whole life. So how can I expect him to care if his underwear is wet or dirty? Also, how long does it take for them to learn what it feels like when they need to go before they go?
This is normal, right?!?
3 comments:
Oh yeah....! I remember Owen doing the rapid-sequence pees when we first started training. That must be pretty normal. I think it passed pretty soon after he learned to get to the potty before going.
If I remember, I think one thing that helped us was trying to keep him on the potty for a while so that we could have success = pee in potty! So, I'd plop him on the potty in front of a movie with a drink and snacks and wait for the pee pees to hit the potty...then, WHOA!!! Major party!!!! Serious excitement!!!! Then, I would talk about how you can feel the pee pees in your body before they start coming out, and had him practice the sentence, 'Mommy, pee pees are going to come out! I need to go potty!' If I remember it took only a couple of days before it clicked. Of course, then a while after that before no accidents. I even now have to remind him to go often times or we can have some wet underwear, though not a full-out puddle.
How old is Noah? The movie 'Go Potty Go' helped us a lot too. I found Owen was MUCH more ready and almost did it himself eventually around 2.5 vs. when I tried earlier.
Hope this wasn't more than you were asking for...amy
Here's what I think is normal - tears, frustration, control issues (going both ways), major character building, wondering why you cannot succeed at making your child go on the potty when you've been reasonably successful in everything you ever cared about, talking about poop and pee more than you ever imagined, and the kid eventually getting it.
Be encouraged -- it will happen eventually :-)
Post a Comment