Friday, March 28, 2008

A Nod to H-town, My Hometown

This is a good article about how Houston is a great "opportunity city" and is poised to be a powerful international city in the years to come. It talks about Houston's multiculturalism, industry, low cost of living, entrepreneurial spirit, etc. Yay H-town!

http://american.com/archive/2008/march-april-magazine-contents/lone-star-rising


Things I don't like about Houston:
- traffic!!!! I hate it, hate it, HATE IT!!!!
- the lack of houses with charm--nearly everything is cookie-cutter. Most houses in Houston's suburbia look alike.

Things I love about Houston:
- amazing food and variety of restaurants
- really great shopping, including charming little shopping centers
- the very low cost of living (which I can really appreciate after living in Boston)
- the women dress up for everything :)
- a lot of my friends are successful in business--good climate for it
- I know more great musicians in Houston than in Boston; in fact, Houston is a wonderful place for the arts. A few years ago, I heard that Houston is second only to NYC for the number of theater seats.

I want to hear from those of you who live in Houston or have lived there in the past. What do you like and dislike?

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Traffic is a pain, even up here in Conroe/The Woodlands. And every once in a while The Woodlands reminds me of the X-files episode, Arcadia, in the Stepford-like community. I still think Austin beats Houston as far as music goes, but there is a good arts community here. And I have to agree on the food. Conroe has a Los Cucos with a drive-through!

-A

Katie said...

Holy cow! A drive through Los Cucos? That is incredible.

Los Cucos is in fact one of the best things about H-town.

I don't really mind the traffic-I mean, you know it's going to be there, so there's no point in getting annoyed.

I also love the fact that you can see a great Broadway show in an amazing theatre and that there are plenty of opportunities for food, fun and culture.

I do wish we had a better mass transit system. I mean-the light rail is kind of silly since it only goes back and forth down one street. What we really need is a system that brings people in and out of the city.

But over all-I heart H-town. And I think that when people move to Austin they become all snobby and judgmental of those of us who love Houston.

Katie

April Drolet said...

I don't like Houston for:
- the horrendous traffis, as you said
-a little more materialistic than where I live currently
- the humid heat

I love it for:
- the people, lots of them everywhere!
- the love for Chick-Fil-A is strong!!
- the variety of food venues also
- all my family and friends are there

April Drolet said...

And I have to agree with the Los Cucos comments-that sounds so great right now. But Arizona has In-N-Out Burger...that's pretty great too!

Lauren said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the humidity! ICK.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you forgot about the humidity. :) I moved away to Dallas when I was 14 so I don't remember a lot about the traffic but I certainly remember the sticky feeling!