Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Easter Ruminations

So Noah and I accompanied Uncle Ken and Aunt Meredith to their church in Dripping Springs on Sunday, which was Palm Sunday. Ken and Meredith have been living there since last summer, and I've been wanting to see their house and their church for a long time, so I'm really glad we got to fit the visit in.

Anyhow, I must confess that during the sermon, my mind was wandering. At one point, I was thinking about a baby gift that I would like to get my most wonderful friend, April. I was thinking about how much fun it is to find the perfect gift for someone--something that they'll really love. Maybe this has something to do with my nurturing side, but I also love to give them something that they will also get a lot of use out of, and I feel like I get brownie points if it's also something they actually need. So during the sermon, I was thinking about this gift, the color April would most like, etc., when my mind wandered back to what the preacher was saying. He was talking about Jesus' death on the cross, and something struck me: God feels the same way about gift-giving. As fulfilling as it is to me to give the perfect gift, how much more satisfied did God feel when he gave us his perfect Gift, Jesus? And I know that since I love it even more if the person really needs what I gave them, how much more did God love it that not only did he give us something that we needed, but would absolutely perish without? And all of this comes from his desire to nurture us out of his great love for us.

Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
Psalm 103:1-5

4 comments:

Lori, Landon and Logan said...

Now you are in Dripping Springs?
I want to see the baby!
PLEASE?
I am actually in Houston right now.

Lauren said...

Oh no! I actually go back to Boston tomorrow. We'll have to catch up when you come to CT next!

Nancy Mon said...

Loved the thoughts in this post. Thank you for sharing them.

April Drolet said...

Very great thoughts for Easter, Lauren! And I think it's cool that I got to be in your story? Does that make me famous?