Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Questionnaire

I found this on someone's blog (I don't even know whose at this point--sorry I can't give proper credit!) and thought it looked fun. Want to join in? If you post something similar, leave a comment and let us know so we can go read it.

-----

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper, mostly because I like to go to town decorating my packages with pretty ribbon and things. This year, though, there has been a hiatus on the high-maintenance packaging. Lots of other things to do right now!

2. Real tree or Artificial? We've never put up a tree before since we always travel for Christmas, but Nathan and I both grew up with artificial trees. Neither of us had ever had a real tree until last night. We went to Home Depot and picked one out. Note to self: Next time, try to buy a tree before the nor'easter that dumps 16+" of snow arrives. :) All the trees were basically frozen shut and had snow and ice in them, and I have to say, Home Depot did not do a good job of shoveling the aisles in the garden section. It really was kind of treacherous. But we found a lovely Douglas fir, which smells amazing, and took it home. It is currently thawing in our living room and is much bigger than we expected, and it is really beautiful. I'll try to take pictures once we get it decorated.

3. When do you put up the tree? My mom would say the day after Thanksgiving. We didn't get to it until, um, December 17. ;)

4. When do you take the tree down? A few days after Christmas

5. Do you like egg nog? I have never ventured to taste it. Something about it being called "egg nog." I mean, come on. Gross.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I wish I could remember. I know I liked this little educational computer thing. I kept trying to tell my parents that Santa left it slightly closer to my pile, so he meant for it to belong to me and not to Ken. And did my Barbie house come from Santa? Probably. If so, that's probably up there.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? No. We are still in the "collecting Christmas decor" stage of our lives. It literally took about five minutes to put everything up, sans the tree. I have to say, that's a little sad. But we've never really had the luxury of storage space for decorations until now.

8. Hardest person for whom to buy? Grandparents.

9. Easiest person for whom to buy? This year it was Nathan. Or maybe Meredith.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Email?! Who emails their Christmas cards?! I think I would only do that if I were desperate. I think I'd rather not send anything and hope they didn't miss it rather than send an email.

11.Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Probably something that ended up under #13. Oh! No, I know what the worst gift ever was--last year's gift from Ken. Nathan and I both received a $.25 recorder and a $1 movie (I got "Boy in the Plastic Bubble," and Nathan got some kind of Godzilla movie). There was definitely some charm to it, though (especially since Ken was dirt poor at the time). The funniest part was that Nathan immediately picked up his recorder and proceeded to play a Christmas song on it. What the heck?! Apparently they teach kids how to play the recorder in English schools.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I like all the old ones, like White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, etc. And of course, who doesn't like A Christmas Story?

13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I'm sure it has happened from time to time. Actually, we did recycle one this year at a White Elephant/Yankee Swap party. I am not going to say what it was, but it did get a good laugh.

14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chocolate covered cherries. And my mom makes good fudge and chocolate oatmeal cookies. And my family's sausage balls. Yeah, we're real health nuts.

15. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear. I like how simple and elegant they look.

16. Favorite Christmas song? O Come O Come Emmanuel. I love the melody (kind of haunting) and the words. And at Baylor, we would always perform this amazing arrangement of it in choir.

17. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We've always traveled, switching between Nathan's family and mine. This year, though, we are staying close to the hospital, with Baby B. so close to coming.

18. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? "You know Dasher and Dancer and Comet and Vixen; Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen; but do you recall the most famous reindeer of all? Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer...." Oops, I named Comet twice. So I guess the answer is no.

19. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? I grew up opening at least a few on Christmas Eve. We just couldn't wait any longer. Nathan thinks this was a terrible breach of all things normal and just, and whenever I want something right away, no matter the time of year, he says (mostly kidding), "This is just like opening presents on Christmas Eve!"

20. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Trying to fit in seeing everyone in a short amount of time, especially when you don't live in the area anymore.

21. Favorite ornament theme or color? I usually gravitate towards red or gold or a combination of the two.

22. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? Dinner? How about dessert?

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? A baby.

.

*UPDATE*

Nathan just sent me this email. Is this funny or what?
"I saw on your blog that you just want a baby for Christmas this year. Why didn't you say so? That saves me the trouble of having to go out and shop. =)"

5 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

After seeing what you want for Christmas..I can remember how hard it is to wait for that baby to finally join the outside world where we hold and adore them!!!!

Blessing for Christmas love and the joy of a new life..EACH baby is a miracle and a gift from God..
for us to love..
fondly, deena

PS..hubby had to do the shoveling here at our house

Irene said...

Hello and thank you for stopping my place. You are the first person to let me know that they have tasted kourambiedes, before!
I think it is a lovely present the one you are about to receive. All three of our children were born around Christmas, from the beginning of December to mid-January. I have a december birthday, and my husband celebrates his name day on the 25th!I find that purely Lovely.
With regards to the baby, if I may offer a word of wisdom here!,I'd say, just relax and enjoy those last few days of your pregnancy. i sometimes wish I could put them back in and give birth again. Life is the greatest miracle and it is a divine blessing to be able to join in the creation.
Very best wishes to you on your wedding anniversary. You look stunning.
Merry and blessed Christmas to you and yours.
es

The Crenshaws said...

LB,

I borrowed your survey and added two questions. It seemed to me that a Christmas survey needed at least 25 questions! :) Hope you have a fabulous Christmas!

Amanda said...

I agree with you that grandparents are the hardest to buy for. There are some hand soap and lotion sets in a little wire basket at Williams Sonoma that I buy all the time. They make great gifts for all ages, I think. Also, when the baby comes you can start giving photo gifts. I did that last year and everyone made it clear what they wanted this year! Not that you needed any advice. I'm just bored right now.

Anonymous said...

Live trees are the way to go baby. We have never had a fake one in my family. This year the tree is live and will go on living long after Christmas b/c we're going to plant it! it's a nice little Charlie-brown looking cyprus. can't be over 3 feet high.

Don't like egg nog either.

I do really like O Come, O Come Immanuel also, but O Holy Night is my favorite. I also like the music to Lo How A Rose 'Ere Blooming even though the words are just ok.