Sunday, August 23, 2009

One-Tomato Summer

We are evidently having a one-tomato summer.

I planted a tomato plant this year that produces yellow heirloom tomatoes, and I was so excited when I got it. The growing season is so short here, though, that I was a little disconcerted to see that it takes like 80 days to mature, but I was willing to wait for some good old yellow 'maters to show up.

However, although we got maybe five blooms, only one tomato developed. One. And that sucker took its sweet time to mature. We have been watching that green tomato sit there for months, I'm telling you. Finally, it turned yellow:

So there is our one tomato. Celebrate it, y'all, because it's the only one we're getting this summer.

We ate it the other day on turkey burgers, and I have to say, it was really really good. Was it worth all the trouble I put into that entire plant to have one good tomato? I'm not sure. But I bet you that next spring I'll get excited and optimistic (spring is just like that, isn't it?) and do the exact same thing.

4 comments:

Deb said...

It reminds me of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree...it makes me giggle in the same way ;)

FitzandMolly said...

can I give you some unsolicited advice? Okay, great. I'm glad you said, "yes."

You need a much, much larger container. Tomatoes have pretty big root systems.

Lauren said...

Yes, I know, but I decided deal with the space and materials I already had. Hopefully next summer I'll have a yard.

FitzandMolly said...

hopefully next summer you won't also have 100+ temps and drought, so that your tomatoes will produce!