Friday, August 21, 2009

Just Keeping it Real

Hey peeps,

So I realized that the last several posts have been all about the little spots of fun and perfection in our lives. In order to keep any of my dear readers from thinking that all is perfect here (we are real people, after all), I thought I'd share some of the other stuff going on:
  1. Noah has cut out an hour and a half of his nighttime sleep. He now goes to sleep later in the evening and has started waking up much earlier in the morning. This morning it was 5:45. This is no good--NO GOOD, I tell you. Mom and Dad do not want to wake up at 5:45. The only thing I can think to do is to cut his nap shorter and hope he sleeps in a little in the morning.
  2. The problem with cutting Noah's nap short is that I nap when he naps. I have been pretty tired this pregnancy. During the first trimester, there was about a month when I found it hard to peel myself off the couch. Now I have more energy, but I'm having trouble sleeping now, so there are some days when taking a nap is really essential for me . . . especially for my attitude. :)
  3. I had a horrible day the other day, mostly because my pregnancy hormones made me so moody that I ended up having a crazy pity party. I think I did have a legitimate need to get out of the house and do something that did not involve mommy-ing, so I went to see Julie and Julia that evening by myself. It was really good--very charming. Speaking of which, I didn't know Julia Child lived in Cambridge. Turns out, her house is just a few blocks from Nathan's office, so I tried to find it the other day, but I got totally lost. I'm going to try again after looking at a map.
  4. Noah is going through a disobedience surge. As in, he thinks it's funny to run down the middle of the street when you call him. He is also not eating much dinner at night, and we are wondering if one of the reasons he's waking up so early in the morning is because he's hungry.
  5. Pretty soon, Nathan is going to be away in Canada for another week, which stinks for Noah and me. Grr. We will make it, though.
So there you go. Real life at the Beneshes' house. :)

5 comments:

Bruce and Morgan said...

Lauren, have you tried putting Noah to bed earlier in the night so that he will sleep later? Sounds counterintuitive but it actually works, so "they" say (whoever 'they' are) and it always worked with Elijah. Good luck! I know exactly how needing to nap in pregnancy with a toddler running around goes. Praying for you guys! -Morgan

Lauren said...

Actually, we pushed his bedtime from 7:30 to 8:00 because for weeks we'd put him down at 7:30 and he'd just sit in his crib and play or call us constantly until he fell asleep at 8:00. So we just gave up and moved bedtime. But I have been thinking of trying to move it back again. Thanks for the advice. :)

Kendra said...

I was going to suggest the same thing as Morgan. I know if we put Hannah down late, she wakes up earlier...so weird. Hannah always talks to herself for about 30-60 minutes after we put her down. And definitely don't give up the nap time! YOu could even try putting him down 15 minutes earlier and see if he sleeps until the same time.

Becky said...

Love the real updates!

When Will was about Noah's age he kept getting up earlier and earlier. We started to think it was to eat also, b/c we would feed him as soon as he got up. So, set a specific time for breakfast and didn't feed him until then, no matter what time he woke up. He eventually adjusted. Now both the boys usually get up about 30 min. before breakfast.

I feel like my boys sleep schedules are always changing. Once you get used to a new schedule one of them changes again.

FitzandMolly said...

shortening the nap was painful, but we had to in order to get moriah to keep her bedtime. and i was exhausted my entire pregnancy (the most recent one). i had great energy during the first one - the second was totally different in every aspect. other people i've talked with said that they were wiped out with their second pregnancies too. i think it has everything to do with having a toddler.