Friday, August 28, 2009

Boy or Girl?

So I have been noticing a few subtle differences between this pregnancy and the last. Knowing that some moms have different symptoms according to the gender of their baby, I'm wondering whether or not this means I might be having a girl. I'm 14 weeks, so it'll be at least a month before we find out the gender for sure, and I thought it might be fun for us all to guess!

So here are my differing pregnancy symptoms:
  • I was pretty tired during my first pregnancy, but there was about a month in this pregnancy during my first trimester when I was incredibly fatigued and would have been happy to nap all day. It lasted four or five weeks. I don't think it was quite that severe when I was pregnant with Noah. And, yes, I know that having a toddler makes you more tired, but it went beyond that.
  • During my first trimester, I had what I can only describe as hot flashes. I didn't ever end up drenched in sweat or anything; it was more like my skin was emanating heat. It would last for three or four hours, then all would go back to normal.
  • I've been having a hard time sleeping. When I was pregnant with Noah, I think I only had trouble sleeping during my last trimester, when it was just hard to find a comfortable position. Now, my mind races and goes into hyperdrive as soon as my head hits the pillow sometimes. My doctor actually had me take Benadryl before bed for a few nights to help break the cycle, but it still happens from time to time. Also, for a while, I would wake up in the middle of the night and just be totally awake for an hour or two. That ain't cool at all. Luckily, that hasn't happened for a couple of weeks.
  • I also need it to be colder in the house at night in order to sleep. I've never had that problem before--I sleep quite well when I'm hot. In fact, Nathan cannot believe I can sleep under as many blankets as I do sometimes. But this go-round, I absolutely cannot get to sleep if I get the least bit hot. Often, I have to move to the couch to sleep at night because it's closer to the air conditioner and is cooler.
  • I'm not gaining much weight. I may have gained a pound so far this pregnancy. This is in huge contrast to my last pregnancy, when I gained way too much weight. I just don't have the urge to eat as much. Although I do think I developed some bad habits early on the last time, I also think there must be a difference in my hormones or something, because looking back, I really think that some of my eating when I was pregnant with Noah was hormone-driven.
  • Although I've only gained about a pound, you would never think that by looking at my belly. (Yes, I already have one.) I swear, I was showing at six weeks this time around. I don't think this has anything to do with the gender of the baby, though; I know that after you've already had a baby, your ligaments and stuff react faster to the relaxation hormones or whatever in subsequent pregnancies. Anyway, I think I'm definitely bigger this time around than last time. I'll have to take a picture sometime soon and post a comparison from when I was pregnant with Noah.
So does anybody have an opinion? Boy or girl? Just to be clear, I'd be thrilled with either. But it's fun to think about who we might be meeting in a few months.

My mom's Salvadorian friend told her that it was a girl because Noah is kind of wild these days, and if it were going to be a boy he'd be more relaxed. Do you have an old wives' tale to add to the mix?

Leave a comment with your vote. :)

7 comments:

Jeanette said...

I vote that it's going to be a very cute baby! :-)

Emily Benesh said...

I don't know anything about gender, but apparently they've linked an African tribe's high rate of twins to the fact that they eat a lot of squash.

Lauren said...

Emily, that was so random!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you can import that particular squash...
Deb

Anonymous said...

Girl.
mom (GG)

FitzandMolly said...

1. several ladies i know were exhausted during their 2nd pregnancies.
2. you show much sooner than you did w/your first.
3. i gained only 15 lbs. with Joseph, and he was nearly 2 lbs. bigger than Moriah. i gained 30 lbs. with her.
4. a couple of the sweet hispanic ladies that work at church felt all over my lower back and told me i was having a boy. go figure.
5. i slept horribly from the day i took the pregancy test until today. i will sleep horribly for the next few months as well. ;)
6. being pregnant has permanently changed my body temp. i am hot all the time.

Anonymous said...

Granny and Papa vote boy because of all the Benesh boys.
Courtney-was one of the Hispanic ladies Elsa who guessed right with Joseph? Elsa predicts girl for Lauren! We shall see.....
mom
xo0xoxoxoxoxxoxo