Saturday, August 16, 2008

Help Me, Dear Bloggers.

Things I need help on:
  1. Sewing question: What is the best way to learn how to cut a straight line? I know I should have learned this in kindergarten, but apparently I didn't. I just can't eyeball it. And yes, I do have good sewing scissors, so that's not what's throwing me off. Also, how do you make sure you're cutting your corners at a 90-degree angle?
  2. What is the best way to grind flaxseed? I tried putting it in the food processor, but the seeds just spun around without breaking up. I don't have a mortar and pestle, and I doubt I'd use them if I did. Any other methods?
  3. What is your best meatloaf recipe? I have a ton of ground beef I need to use, and I thought meatloaf would be a good candidate for using it. I haven't ever run across a meatloaf recipe that I thought was so stellar I needed to write it down, so I'm appealing to you. Help!

9 comments:

Andrew said...

I loved the meatloaf we had growing up, so call my parents. As far as the other questions? Yeah, I've got nothing :).

Amanda said...

I got nothing.

Valerie said...

The only way I can cut a straight line on fabric is with my rotary cutter/cutting mat/ruler.

Nothing on the flack seed.

My meatloaf:

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 egg
a handful of oatmeal
a handful of shredded cheese
ketchup

Mix ground beef, egg, oatmeal, and cheese. Put in a backing pan (I like to use a loaf pan, but a 9x9 pan works too), and spread ketchup over top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.

FitzandMolly said...

my mother always used a cutting board with grid lines to help w/straight lines.

i always get flaxseed meal. it's great to use in place of breadcrumbs.

look up on martha stewart's website her mother's meatloaf recipe. it's amazing. it's the only one i will ever use for the rest of my life.

Kim said...

I second the comment about rotary cutter + grid mat. also, we use an inexpensive coffee grinder to grind spices and seeds.

MB said...

1. rotary cutter/cutting board/mat *with a good ruler*
2. coffee grinder (clean it afterwards REALLY well with rice)
3. I'll consult my mom. She has the best meatloaf ever!

Stephanie Chapman said...

I was going to say coffee grinder or spice mill for your flax seed issue. I make my meatloaf kind of different everytime but the one thing I usually do is saute my diced onion and green peppers before mixing in with the meat so that they are cooked down prior to going in the oven and don't steam the beef as they cook. I'll have to check out that Martha Stewart recipe!

Lauren said...

I'm glad to know that a rotary cutter is not, like, only for quilters or people who can't eyeball a straight line. I thought maybe I was missing a very basic skill or something. Those rotary mats are so dang expensive, though! I mean, really, people, why are they so expensive? $40 for a mat with a grid drawn on it? Anyway, thanks, Sabrina for your suggestion on the 40% off coupon. I might do that, or I might ask for a rotary cutting set for my birthday.

---- said...

definitely go for the 40% off coupon at joann's... in fact, they were having a sale on the rotary cutters and the rulers... and then i ran away with a basic greenish mat FOR NOTHING.

also - if you're looking for something other than the basic meatloaf, this will change your life:http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35425_,00.html

also - the coffee grinder, i concur.