Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Musical Reformer

Did you know that Martin Luther, the man who started the Protestant Revolution, wrote the hymn "A Mighty Fortress is Our God"? I love that hymn--both the melody and the words are compelling, I think. In fact, speaking of the words, it is apparently a very difficult hymn to translate because the German is so vivid, which I think makes it even cooler. There are over 80 English translations.

I recently read this quote by Luther:
"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world. It controls our thoughts, minds, hearts, and spirits."

Nifty, huh?

4 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

love it, love it. so true for me.

Michelle said...

love that quote! that sums it up in my life!

Katie said...

At the time, I had no car at all-thus any car was cool. However, I distinctly remember thinking you had a nifty car.

I think we should get T-shirts made with our mantra.

Liz said...

i actually did know that. have you seen "Luther," the movie with one of the Finnes brothers? i own it i liked it so much!