Nathan and I decided that we spend too much time being brainless in front of the TV at night, so we decided we'd have a "No TV Week."
I think we got into the habit of watching too much TV because we were too tired to do anything else after Noah goes to sleep, especially for the first few months. (Although we definitely did plenty of TV watching before, too.) It has gotten to the point, though, that we watch stuff we don't even care about, just to fill the time. So it was time to find other things to do with ourselves.
Why?
1. Because TV does very little to actually edify our lives.
2. It eats what would otherwise be our quality time with one another.
3. We get less done around the house.
4. I hate to be so blunt, but it encourages laziness.
So this week we are banning ourselves from TV. I made a list of things we can do instead:
- play games
- read a book we've both been meaning to read
- make a list of our family's goals, sort of like a Benesh mission statement
- paint the kitchen or bathroom (I'm tired of white)
- spend more time on our back deck on pleasant summer evenings
This is certainly not an "I hate TV" post, because I do think that it's okay to be entertained and also to just sit and be brainless sometimes. We've just been doing too much of it lately, and we needed to cut ourselves off for a bit. Lucky for Nathan, he only has to put up with five of the seven no-TV days this week, because he's going to Canada on Friday for work. But he won't have access to a TV there, anyway, so I guess it's okay. I wish I were going with him, though! The Canadian Rockies are awesome. The real sacrifice I'll be making is missing the first episode of this season's Project Runway on Wednesday. But I'm banking on the fact that they'll rerun it a lot.
In other news:
- Noah likes bananas after all. After the first failed attempt at feeding them to him, he decided they were pretty tasty. However, he is not so thrilled about avocados. He acts like he's gagging every time I try to give them to him, which, honestly, is pretty funny looking. He'll eat them if I mix in bananas, though. What a concoction! Avocados, bananas, milk, water, and rice. My gosh, people! The stuff we feed our babies! Ick! At least I'm not mixing in dried kelp and brewer's yeast like this one book I'm reading suggests. Double ick!
- This is a really neat website. This woman is making something in the crock pot every day for a year. Want the other websites I use a lot for recipes? Here they are: Cooking Light, Williams-Sonoma, Weight Watchers, The Food Network. I also sometimes go to The Pioneer Woman because her pictures are purty. I'll be honest. I don't own one cookbook that doesn't have pretty pictures. I just need the inspiration.
- And the big news . . . drumroll, please . . . APRIL HAD HER BABY YESTERDAY! Welcome to the world, little Justus Chandler Drolet! He was a whopping 8 lbs., 8 oz., and Mom delivered him with no drugs! Way to go, Superwoman!
6 comments:
I didn't even know about Project Runway starting this week. Thank you!
I totally agree about TV. It is a total time sucker. We don't have cable and people think we are weird. Oh well. Tell Nathan we said hi!!
We hardly touch the T.V. (the kids do a bit during the day) and we somehow still feel like we do not have time for anything at night. A few favorite things to do after the kids go to bed: play Skip bo, drink our Baptist Wine (sparkling cider), and just chat. I will
be honest and say that I spend a lot of evenings doing house stuff - esp. during the school year. ...packing lunches and choosing clothes for the next day. :_) YOu will enjoy your break from TV. :)
I went on a TV fast one week during the school year and it turned out to be a really good idea. I slept better and was much more productive with my time in the evenings. I also didn't care so much about some of the things that taped on DVR during that week and actually deleted them without watching them!
Project Runway...I love that show! It will be on a million times before the season ends.
Good for y'all. Jared just read an article that said that the average American spends 71 days a year watching TV. We didn't have a TV the first year that we were married, it was really good for us. We often talk about getting rid of it again. Let us know how the week goes for y'all...
Post a Comment