I was thinking about hope this morning.
What I have been noticing lately is that what goes in is what comes out. In other words, when we are surrounded by and are ingesting a bunch of negativity--whether it comes from other people or from ourselves--what comes out is hopelessness. When we are exposing ourselves to positive input, we feel more hope.
That sounds like it is totally coming out of a self-help book, but I think there is truth in it.
I know people who have unsupportive (or worse, abusive) spouses or parents, and we all know what that results in: a tearing down of self-worth, a sense that you can't do anything right, that the future doesn't hold anything good for you. What is coming out (lack of hope) is the result of what is going in.
On the flip side, when you've got people encouraging you, telling you you're doing a good job (at whatever it is you're attempting), telling you they love you, then you start to dream. When you think of the future, you start to think about all the things you can achieve, all the people you'll meet, all the things you'll get to do. You feel like you are capable of more and are not in the prison of "but I can't do that because...", since you have people around you who believe you can. Again, what is coming out is the result of what your mind is being fed.
Sometimes I think all some people need is a big dose of encouragement.
Oftentimes, we don't have control over what we are surrounded by (a destructive/hurtful parent, personal tragedy, etc.), and therefore it's not up to us whether or not we are getting some negative input. But even in those situations, there is always a source of hope: Jesus.
Seeking Jesus is not just a one-time or a once-a-week or only-when-there-is-an-urgent-need type of thing. Or at least, that type of relationship doesn't result in as much joy or an abundant life. Spending time in the Bible and with God every day can't help but give us hope. There, in the hollow of his hand, we can find truth and love and hope and all kinds of other positive things that change our lives by changing our perspective on our lives.
What goes in is what comes out.
I say all this not just because I have been witness to some situations where people are thirsty for hope, but also as a reminder to myself that I need Jesus every day. Personally, I am not so great at carving out some daily time to spend with God (but getting better!), but it is so essential for my spiritual, mental, and emotional health.
------
Some verses came to mind this morning as I was thinking about hope:
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.
Psalm 31:24
Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
Psalm 42:5
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."
Philippians 4:8
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:2a
And finally:
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13
3 comments:
You seem like a very hopeful person. It is easy to tell you spend time with the Father :) Love ya sis!
Deb
Preach it sister! Loved the word! I actually just blogged about this! You must be my twin!
Thanks for the thoughts! My favorite hope passage is Rom 5:3-5.
--Papa B
Post a Comment