So this month I made myself really stick to our grocery budget. Usually, I give myself a ballpark figure and just go from there, and I usually end up spending more than I intended. There's no financial emergency on our end or anything, but I did decide that I was going to pay more attention to this one aspect of our budget and try to be more financially responsible.
One of the things I did to make this work was use cash. I withdrew a certain amount for every week and only used that for the week. This helped a whole lot, because once you're out of cash, you're out of cash, so I tended to pay more attention to what I had to work with. This meant I pretty much cooked every meal.
Up until this week. This week, I am just uninspired by this little game of "what can I cook that will be yummy and only use up $xxx?" This week, I don't feel like doing dishes or cleaning up after Noah or eating anything I would cook. This week, I just want to eat out.
So we have caved and eaten a few fast food meals and one restaurant meal. It has busted our budget by a little, but not to the extent that I used to bust it every month. ;) So overall, I consider this month a moderate success.
Does anybody else budget and cook and make a meal plan and all that? Any tips? Or do you just love to eat out and freely do what you want to do when it comes to your food budget (if you have one)? What have your experiences been?
3 comments:
I cook most of the time, but make allowances usually once a week or every two weeks for us to eat out. That's too much pressure for me to not have the option of going somewhere.
My mom has mad skills when it comes to making weekly menus and shopping/cooking accordingly.
I am so proud of you! Great job! This month I tried something new that worked out well. I made a lasagna and tripled the recipe. I froze all three and pulled them out when I didn't feel like cooking so we didn't have to eat out. It worked great!
Miss you!
Post a Comment