Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sledding!

Before we moved to New England, I had never been sledding. Actually, before we moved to our current apartment in the suburbs (where there are more parks and hills), I had never been sledding.

The only time we've gone sledding was when all we had was a crazy little thin foam thing we bought at a discount store for like $2 after Christmas, and needless to say, it did not pad our little fannies very much at all. Add to that the fact that the snow at that time was really hard--it had snowed a ton, warmed up just enough to let it melt a bit, then it froze again. So the snow actually had a nice layer of hard, slick ice on top. Anyway, sliding down that on a really thin pad was not the best of conditions, yet we had the best time.

Last year, my parents gave Nathan a nice sled for Christmas. We didn't ever have the chance to use it last winter, because at first I was pregnant, then we had a little baby and I was going through postpartum recovery, and Nathan didn't think it sounded like too much fun to go sledding by himself. So Nathan comforted himself with the thought that he could take Noah sledding this winter, because he'd be big enough.

All of that to say that today has been a long time in coming!

So we pulled out the nifty red sled, bundled up (it hasn't gotten out of the teens today), and headed out. Nathan even pulled Noah and me down the street on our sled. It was fun to be pulled--a lot more fun than walking through 12"-deep snow, let me tell you. That is a serious workout! Especially when, like me, you decide that running through it is actually easier because you get some momentum going, doing those knee-high steps.

Once we got to the park, we sat Noah in the snow while we kind of worked things out. Here he is in his little snow seat.

Here's a shot of all the neighborhood kids who came out to sled. Doesn't it look like a winter wonderland? If the sky were blue, it'd make a good postcard. :)

Here's a little video of one of our trips down the hill:


And here's the three of us. I like the snow-covered tree in the background.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so jealous!

April Drolet said...

THat is so cool!Imiss you guys when I seeyou sledding!
We were outside in short sleeves this pm. What a difference!

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! I don't think I am even close to being ready to go to the park yet. Maybe I can work up to that! Brrr!

Anonymous said...

Noah doesn't look too happy in that last picture ;) Oh, sledding... it seems like you started Noah out on a little hill. I remember the best time I had sledding was when our modest sloped, but very big hill froze over. We got some momentum going and just didn't stop until we hit the fence about 50 yards from the base of the hill! It was great fun, but getting back up the hill was very difficult and we had to sort of use our elbows and knees as ice picks.

FitzandMolly said...

y'all are too pretty.