Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ramen Noodles with Tomato Sauce and Greens

So today I was scouring the pantry for something to make for lunch, and all I found was Ramen Noodles. You know, that dirt cheap chicken-flavored noodle soup that you can buy in packs of like 6 for $1.00. Well, let me tell you something. I know what to do with Ramen Noodles.

Back in college, Sarah Fuselier (my roomie/best friend) and I made Ramen with Tomato Sauce all the time, usually alongside a grilled cheese sandwich. Granted, it's not the most healthy thing in the world, but it fit well in a college student's budget. Plus, it sort of makes you feel like you're actually cooking, which was kind of a novelty for two girls who hadn't done much cooking before then. I think this recipe originates with Sarah's mom, although I have attempted to healthify it a little bit with some frozen kale. I've also been known to throw in some sauteed carrot. It is actually pretty good (if you like salt, especially!), and it's great to have on hand for when you desperately need to go to the grocery store or are looking to save some money.

Ramen Noodles with Tomato Sauce and Greens

1 package Ramen Noodles noodle soup mix, chicken flavor
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1-3/4 cups water
1-2 Tbsp. frozen chopped spinach or kale
*optional: a few drops Tabasco sauce

Combine the tomato sauce and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add frozen greens. Prepare noodles according to package instructions (usually you boil them for 3 minutes then add the seasoning). You're done!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

and that is why I love reading your blog. Where else am I going to get a ramen noodle recipe??? Serious bonus points for novelty, usefulness, and hilarity.