Monday, November 26, 2007

Reality Strikes

Sometimes it does not seem real that we are going to have a baby. You can't see his face, you can't hear him cry, he doesn't really require much of you (at least not compared to after he's born), etc. So sometimes it seems surreal that we are going to have a real, live kid.

But Nathan and I have had a few moments when the reality of the fact that we are going to have a baby strikes us. Like when we first saw the ultrasound picture, or when Nathan and I decided he will have to make Hershey Bar Pie every Thanksgiving with our kids (one step is melting marshmallows and chocolate--just imagine how fun it will be to make "marshmallow soup" every year).

The latest one happened this weekend. I bought a cute fleece outfit that I had seen a few weeks ago. I decided we needed it, because it is dang cold here in January, we don't have that many 0-3 month clothes, and it was so cute. I also picked up our travel system (stroller + car seat). So after Nathan put the travel system together, I put the cute little outfit in it, and we both gasped and smiled a little--"Oh my gosh! We'll have a real baby in a real outfit in this little seat!" Zap! Reality struck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see cute little Baby B in that outfit!! :-)

Jeanette & Hannah

FitzandMolly said...

i really need to call you - i've been thinking about you almost every day. are you so ready to be done with being pregnant??? sounds like your thanksgiving was a blast, and i can fully imagine your mom doing her sign language. she's so effervescent!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren, I'm currently studying for my American Lit final, and I ran across this poem:

Metaphors

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

-Sylvia Plath

Anonymous said...

we have a newborn and have both the old navy outfit and the travel system. both are great!