Saturday, November 10, 2007

Faith & Doubt

I have been going through Beth Moore's Jesus: The One and Only devotional book, and the other day I read something that I really liked, and I thought I'd share it with you all.

It is based on Luke 7:18-28, when John the Baptist, who is in prison, sends messengers to Jesus to ask him, "Are you the one to come, or should we expect someone else?" This question just reeks of doubt, yet this is coming from the man who preached in the desert and baptized people in preparation of Christ's coming. This is from the guy who recognized Christ for who He was and told his followers that he was not fit to tie His sandals.

But here he is, sitting in prison, persecuted and dejected and about to be beheaded, while Jesus is out there doing all kinds of miracles for all kinds of other people. In fact, Jesus had just raised someone from the dead. It seems like a natural response to ask why Jesus had not done a miracle for him, too. It seems like a natural response to wonder if this was really the plan--for him to preach for only a year then be murdered because of political intrigue. So John started to have seeds of doubt.

Our pastor preached about faith and doubt several weeks ago. He mainly talked about Thomas, but he also incorporated this passage, because in both cases, Jesus does an amazing thing. He does not chastise John or Thomas' doubt. He does not cast them out. Instead,
He answers their question. How awesome is that? In Thomas' case, He shows him the marks on His hands so that he will believe that Christ was alive. In John's case, in answer to "Are you the one?" Jesus sends the messengers back with the message that "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor." In other words, "Yes, John, I am definitely the one." What patience and compassion Jesus had to actually acknowledge their doubt and answer their questions.

In both cases, He does follow it by saying something that implies it would have been better if they had never doubted. To Thomas He says, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed," and to John he says, "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me." But since Jesus teaches that it would be better not to doubt, why does He tolerate the doubt at all? Our pastor answered that it is because it is a normal--maybe even healthy--part of being a Christian to doubt. At least when we are seeking answers, we are being honest and are genuinely seeking the truth. He pointed out that in Thomas' case, a LOT rode on whether or not Christ really was alive, including personal safety, and so it made sense that Thomas wanted to see proof. He could have just ignored the other disciples' testimony, but instead, he showed up in the inner room to hear what they had to say and test the truth. There is a genuineness in that. Our pastor postulated that this is why Christ admitted it--because Thomas and John were honestly seeking the truth, despite their doubt.

In fact, in the case of John, Jesus even turns to the crowd at hand and tells them--and remember that this is right after He has confronted John's' doubt and sends him an answer--that "
among those born of women there is no one greater than John."

How awesome that Jesus accepts our seeking, answers our doubt, and still sees us for who we are in His kingdom? That we can still be used, loved, and in John's case, honored.

The other thing I love about this passage is what Jesus says to John: "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me." I loved learning what the Greek words actually meant the other day, because that's the key for unlocking this seemingly strange answer. And it does seem strange, doesn't it? Why would Jesus answer John in such a way that makes it look like he has "fallen away?" That wasn't really what happened, or at least that would be an exaggeration of the facts. It turns out that the Greek sheds some light on what Jesus actually said.

"Falling away" comes from the word skandalon, which means "a cause of stumbling." So what Jesus is saying is, "Blessed is the man who does not find me a cause for stumbling." Why would John find Jesus a stumbling block? Because Jesus was not working in his life like he was in others'.

Amen to that, right? How many times do we see these amazing spiritual experiences of other people or hear about how God worked in so-and-so's life, and it kind of takes us aback that God didn't work in our life like that. I certainly know how that feels. So what Jesus is saying is, "Blessed is the man who doesn't let the perceived activity or inactivity of Christ trap him or make him stumble" (Beth's words).

Well, that really got me. I think that a lot of times I assume that God is not working in my life in the same way He's working in others' lives because I must have a lack of faith or because I'm not listening enough or because of some other personal failing. And I'm sure that's true to an extent, at least sometimes. But the truth is that God has kingdom purposes, and I am no less a part of that kingdom than any other Christian. He has a purpose in my life, and in the dry spells or when it seems like He's not answering prayer, I still have to trust that He is good and that He is working on my behalf. Blessed am I if those dry times don't make me stumble. I never knew Christ acknowledged this or gave any instruction or encouragement regarding it. I like it. :)

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Romans 12:2

"Test everything."
1 Thess. 5:21

2 comments:

Amanda said...

There is an amazing book called "The Prisoner in the Third Cell" by Gene Edwards that my mom and I both love. Its about what you just mentioned. I highly recommend it. What's cool is that it mixes fiction and non-fiction.

Nancy Mon said...

This is an awesome post and I will love thinking this through and pondering the words you've written. Thank you!