Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Beauty is Fleeting . . . But a New Outfit is a Wonderful Thing

"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting"; yes Lord, but then why does a new outfit give me a renewed outlook on life?

I have been feeling ultra-frumpy lately. Partly because my belly is big, so all my clothes are big. And partly because it's pretty much winter here now, and all my winter clothes are big, bulky sweaters that aren't what you would call figure-flattering. That, plus there is this one fleece of Nathan's that I wear pretty much every day when I get home. And I actually wore one of Nathan's jackets to church on Sunday, which was just the straw the broke the camel's back--it was just so bulky that when I saw this cute girl in a trendy outfit with a fitted coat on, I kind of wanted to hide. I'm so vain, I know.

I mean, it could be much worse, I know. I could be living in the mid-80's, when the only maternity clothes looked like sailor outfits (eesh). Or in the early 90's, when the cool thing was oversized shirts and stirrup pants (why did we all think we looked so cute?). But something about the combination of a big sweater and a big belly just does not do much for the psyche, or at least mine. I miss you, Ann Taylor.

So this weekend, I went to the mall to pick something up for Thanksgiving from Williams-Sonoma (I think Jesus himself created that store), and I stopped into a maternity store to browse for a minute. I found myself picking some clothes off the rack . . . then in the dressing room . . . then at the register, buying a very cute outfit, because it did NOT make me look frumpy, and that did a lot for my state of mind.

It's a cute red, trendily cut turtleneck and some flowy black pants. Good for work, good for the holidays. Good for my psyche.

You know, I could worry about this and wonder if I'm overly vain or spoiled or something. But I don't think I will. Because sometimes, dangit, you just need a new outfit.

This looked better after my hair calmed down a bit. :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Good for you! I think any woman at the end of her pregnancy deserves some big time spoiling. And well-fitting clothes certainly do help you feel better about yourself.

Anonymous said...

Ann Taylor has maternity clothes now!

Amanda said...

For some reason I didn't see this picture when I read this before. Probably because I read it on bloglines. But you look absolutely gorgeous!