Sunday, September 9, 2007

Well, at least you've got your health

You know how, when people tell the older generations their problems, the response is so often, "Well, at least you've got your health"? That used to kind of annoy me, because it seemed like the response was making light of the other major problems being talked about. I think I also disliked that response because I was young and nearly always felt great. I didn't know what it was like to lose your health.

But I have to tell you, those older people are RIGHT. It is STINKY to be sick.

I had a nasty case of food poisoning this weekend that just flattened me. Not only did it completely clean out my digestive system (which is an unpleasant process), but it basically left me a weakened, flattened mess. It is a stinky thing to feel that weak. Plus, I had to miss my own baby shower! In the wee morning hours, while I was still, well, emptying myself, I was still thinking I could make it to the shower. I figured that once I was emptied, what else could happen? Boy, was I wrong. I got totally dehydrated (a bad thing for a pregnant woman) and lost all my energy, started running a fever, etc. Ugh, it is not fun to have zero energy and try to fight a fever. Lucky for me, the whole thing only lasted 24 hours. It was enough to prompt Nathan to postpone his trip to a conference for a day, though, because he got worried. He said he had never seen me so sick.

So all that to say that whatever your problems are, if you DO have your health, thank God for it. It's something we all take for granted most of the time, but it is not fun to lose. I think of people with cancer and with other diseases who fight feeling badly all the time and it makes me think how blessed I really am. Thank you, Lord, for my health. Help me to keep from taking it for granted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We missed you so much at the shower! I hope you are feeling better! Your hubby was hamming it up opening the gifts though! I think he even said "That's adorable" a few times. I hope you get better and we will have to do a gathering the next time you fly down to make up for it.
~Lori

Amanda said...

It really stinks that you missed your shower, Lauren! I'm so sorry that happened to you. You are blessed you didn't end up in the hospital.

The Crenshaws said...

Lauren, sweet girl! I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog; now I can stay updated on your pregnancy and life!