Monday, September 24, 2007

DCC Reflections

Nathan and I got a new TV last week, and our fancy new TV picks up a few digital channels that we didn't get before. (Yay History Channel!) One of the ones that we get now is CMT. Now, I haven't watched CMT since I watched country music videos in 10th grade. But I have now discovered and am fascinated by--I know there is a moan coming from some of you--that Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders show. I compare this to Courtney's enjoyment of NASCAR. Kind of unexpected, but we can't help it.

So this is how it happened: we were flipping through the channels and landed on this channel where the women were so obviously Texan I even made a comment about it. Something about the silver jewelry, the packed on makeup, excessive eyeliner, perfect teeth, flamboyant clothes, great figures, etc. It just looked like Texas. Ah, the glories of Texas women. It soon became apparent that this was a show about the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader tryouts. (Disclaimer: this is not to say that all Texan women aim to land quite so high on the glamour scale, because I know many who don't, but you Texans know there are plenty who do.)

I think what fascinates me about shows like this is that, for one thing, who doesn't want to watch some talented girls do their thing? I think that is definitely a big part of the fascination for me. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who probably would have been like the worst cheerleader ever, but ever since I was little I've admired people who can do those high kicks and dance moves without looking retarded.

But, of course, let's be honest. Part of the draw of the show is also the drama. The drama of who came from how far, how many times they've tried out, who gets cut, all the tears when the cuts happen, etc. And the blonde moments. Oh, the rare but perfect blonde moments. I just about died when one girl, when asked what she'd think about Condoleeza Rice running for president, said, "Well, I think he's great. I wish him the best of luck as he runs for president." I just about fell on the floor.

Anyway, all that to say that although I have an intellectual side, I guess I a.) also have this I-like-to-be-entertained-just-for-the-sheer-joy-of-being-entertained side, and b.) am still a girl, after all, who loves girly things. And the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders definitely fit the bill.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so glad you're a fan too! I watched all the episodes last season and was so excited it was back on this year. There is much human drama to be had!

Anonymous said...

You rock Lauren. And I have the new season of DCC programmed in on my DVR! :)

Katie

FitzandMolly said...

Let's just clear things up a bit: I thoroughly enjoy NASCAR. It is not an obsession. My love for all things Astros is obsession. ;)

Lauren said...

Ha! Okay, I'll change the wording, Courtney. :)