Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Funny Kid Stuff

Noah:
  • "Mommy, maybe instead of being a superhero when I grow up I'll be a scientist." "Noah, I think you would make an excellent scientist."  "Yeah, because I know about everything!"
  • "Mommy, how does the baby in your tummy breathe?  I think there are lots of tiny holes in your tummy, too small for us to see, and that's how the air gets in!"  So we talked about what the umbilical cord does. . . . 
  • The next day: "Noah, do you still think you want to be a scientist?" "Yes." "What do you want to learn about?" "I want to know about your brain, and I want to know about the pipe that gives the baby food." 
  • He has a theory about everything. When talking about gravity: "Dad, fire and heat kill gravity." "Well, no, they don't, kiddo." "But that's how rocket ships get into space."
  • Noah sneaked downstairs during nap time, when he was supposed to be asleep, and Nathan caught him playing in the living room.  When Noah saw him, he turned, shoulders and head drooping, and sadly said, "Dad, I just can't go to sleep." It might have been convincing, if not for the eye patch and pirate hook he was wearing at the time.
  • At bedtime: "Mommy, I'm so hungry!"  "Well, buddy, you should have eaten more of your dinner.  Remember to eat it all tomorrow.  You can have a big breakfast tomorrow." "Mommy, I want eggs for breakfast." "Okay, eggs would be a great breakfast." "Mommy, I want LOTS of eggs.  I want a big, jolly pile of eggs." 

Jane:
  • "Guys, we get to go pick Daddy up from the airport tomorrow morning!" "Can I wear my new dress?"  Typical!
  • On the way to church: "Daddy, I like my dress today." "Yes, you look very pretty." "Like Mommy.  But Mommy not pretty in a shirt.  Only in a dress."
  • Every time she is supposed to be going to sleep, she spends time setting up her babies and a stuffed animal or two as perfectly as possible on a little pillow on her bed, then she covers them with a little blanket.  Perfectly.  This process can take some time, people.  But it's so endearing.
  • About 40 times a day: "Why?"
  • "Guys, I'm going to call Granny and see how Papa is feeling today." "Why?" "Because he has not been feeling well." "Why?" "Well, Baby, sometimes when you get old, you just don't feel very well." [Pause.] "Old like Noah?"  Ha!  So funny that she thinks her four year old brother is all that old! Just goes to show you how much younger siblings look up to their older siblings.
 
The other night, when the kids kept getting out of bed, Nathan went upstairs to stop the shenanigans and stopped to open the bathroom door, thinking it was odd that it was closed.  He found both kids laid out straight on the floor, side by side.  What game could that have possibly been?  It's pretty great that they have fun and enjoy playing together, though, the little oddballs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These make me smile! Where's Simba?

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous" is GG

Katie said...

I'm dying because I can totally picture the scene with the eye patch and hook!

Also, I find his theory about rockets and gravity to be pretty convincing.

Your children are awesome.