The other day, I decided to make up a recipe for a banana yeast bread. I combined a couple of recipes I had, tried a couple of versions, and ended up discovering that there's nothing you can do to make banana yeast bread (which is less banana-y than banana quick bread) have a more pronounced banana flavor. It's not like a citrus bread, where you can add some zest. What I found out was that when you add more banana, which is a wet ingredient, you have to compensate by then adding more flour to keep the dough from being too wet.
Anyway, this is what I came up with. In the end, we decided it was pleasant, but not extra special. I'm posting it here, anyway, because I invent precious few recipes, and I figured it ought to be here just for that reason alone. :)
-----
Banana Cinnamon Bread
1-1/8 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
1-1/2 ripe medium to large bananas, in chunks
2-1/2 cups bread flour
1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup dry milk
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-1/4 tablespoon gluten
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
Place all ingredients in bread maker, set to Wheat cycle, and hit Start. Enjoy!
1 comment:
ha, I made my own banana break recipe this weekend too! Not a yeast bread, just a quick bread, but it was awfully tasty. Carrot Banana Cake Bread, and I posted it to my blog. Very banana-y (and carrot-y, and pineapple-y).
Love those bananas!
Post a Comment