Our friends, the Robinsons, have made this soup for us a couple of times, and it is always very good. Since we are full-on into soup weather, and especially since the highs for the next few days have dipped down into the 40's, I thought this would be a great recipe to make today.
If I remember correctly, Bryan and Sara initially had this soup at a family member's house in Texas. Now, let me tell you something. I don't think I'd trust a Tortilla Soup recipe if it came from someone in Maine or Montana or Iowa. But this one comes directly from the Lone Star State, so you know that it has some Tex-Mex flair.
Bryan and Sara altered the recipe so that you can cook it in the crock pot, which makes it even easier to make, and it's pretty darn tasty, too. I'm going to serve it with some beer bread. Don't you think that combo sounds amazing?
-----
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts
2 small cans chopped green chilies (on the Mexican aisle)
4 cans (or 2 boxes) chicken broth
1 can tomato soup
1 medium-sized can diced tomatoes
2 cans sweet corn
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
Remaining Ingredients:
tortilla chips
1 avocado, sliced
shredded cheese
hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
Put the first group of ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on low for approximately 8 hours (or high for 4-6 hours), until the chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken with two forks.
To serve the soup, put a few broken tortilla chips in the bottom of the soup bowls, then ladle the soup on top. The soup softens the chips and converts their texture to that of soft tortillas. Avocado, cheese, and hot pepper sauces make great garnishes, as would sour cream and cilantro.
Note: My slow cooker is not quite big enough to handle this much volume, but this recipe could easily be cut in half and would still serve four people generously.
3 comments:
Girlfriend, I have been looking this week for a chicken tortilla soup but couldn't find anything that seemed good. I was so bummed b/c I've been craving it!
I cannot wait to try this one! And it's a crock-pot one - even better!! haha!
That sounds good. I'm going to have to try it soon.
Just printed the recipes. Yummy!
mom
Post a Comment