About a month ago, I called my friend, Sarah, and told her that one day Nathan and I want to go on vacation to Italy with her and her husband. Specifically, I want to do one of those vacations where you go to Italy and tour around and learn how to cook all the local food. Sarah was all over this. So we are all adding this Italian vacation to our wish lists.
The timing of that call was funny, because about a week later I picked up Under the Tuscan Sun at the library. And now I am swept up into this wonderful, foody Italy. The author talks about the Italian summer, where herbs grow so profusely that they can't be hemmed in and the fruits and vegetables taste more intense and delicious because they are grown locally and no unnatural measures are taken to preserve them. She talks about hulling pine nuts; pruning olives; visiting the local, colorful market; eating all meals on one of their several terraces (the one that spills out from the kitchen); and welcoming the hummingbird that visits her while she cooks.
I think I might have to put like fourteen asterisks next to "Italian vacation" on our wish list.
2 comments:
Italy is the best, you guys will love it. Definitely go to Cinque Terre for seafood and super beautiful coastline. Otherwise Rome, Florence/Tuscany, Milan, Venice, Siena... the food/sights will always be great. Two weeks in Italy was def one of our favorite vacations. The only problem is that you rarely find Italian food that tastes as good here. I guess we just have to go back one day. :)
That's a really good book; I have read it a couple of times. Have you read A Year in Provence, by Peter Mayle? He and his wife re-do a house in Provence, and experience the local foods and drinks. There's a sequel to Mayle's book, too. His work evokes the same love of life that Under the Tuscan Sun does.
Love, mama b
Post a Comment