Monday, May 5, 2008

Our Weekend

Although I was not feeling my best on Friday, we did drive up to New Hampshire to enjoy our church's couples retreat, and we were glad we did. I definitely was not at my best the whole weekend, but it was still fun, and we got to meet some new couples and develop new relationships.

I left Boston with a cold and arrived in New Hampshire with allergies. Now, I do not usually suffer from allergies, so this is a little weird. But once we got there, I was dealing with the runny nose, uncontrollable sneezing, crazy itching eye, itchy throat, etc. Once I got some Benadryl in me, I felt much better. But for the better half of the retreat, our small group suffered through my sneezing and watery eye, which made it look like I was touched by and crying at everyone's stories, which was kind of funny.

This was also the first time that we handed Noah off to any kind of babysitter, save my mom and grandma, who probably only babysat him a total of five hours over two different days. Nathan and I were really kind of anxious-sad to pass him off to anyone, but we knew that it had to be done at some point. Well, the little guy did not do so well. I think it was a combination of a couple of factors: 1.) the room where he was supposed to nap had lots of little toddlers, so it was not all that quiet, and 2.) he had never spent that much time away from me. The one day he did not do well, he had been in the care of the babysitters all morning, was with us at lunch but got passed around the table a lot (so he wasn't really WITH us), and then went back to the babysitters for a couple of hours before he let them have it. They had to call us out of our small group, and when I got there, the poor kid was inconsolable. I think we may have to do this in smaller increments--a couple hours here, a couple hours there. Any tips?

All in all, we had a very nice weekend, and it was good to get away and to meet some really nice new people!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

If you are still nursing, that probably made it harder just because he is used to being in your arms constantly. There's a feeling of tension that builds and builds and builds while you're apart. As he gets older and is weaned, it will take longer for that tension to build up - for you and him.