Thursday, May 29, 2008

Little Things and Big Things

Little Things:
  • It is getting light here at 4:25am. I know this because I've been up feeding Noah at that hour a couple of times. That is dang early for the sun to come up! Nathan says that it's not the light that bothers him; it's that the birds start singing so early. This morning I woke up to feed Noah, and I totally thought he had slept through the night. It was as bright as it is at 7:15, and it was only 5:15.
  • Noah is sleeping on his side now. He is also only waking up once a night to eat, in the early morning hours, which is great. Sleep is getting better. I find I would still really like a good solid 8 or 9 hours, which I haven't gotten since before he was born. I think we may be close.
  • We saw this on our walk last weekend. Sheesh:
  • I got a perfect brow wax the other day.
  • I mentioned a while back that I was starting Weight Watchers to lose some baby weight. Well, it's going really well! I have been doing it for three weeks, and I've lost 5.2 lbs. I'm really happy with that. I even contemplated putting this under "Big Things," but I thought that might be overstating it a bit. :) That may seem slow, but it's a great pace for me for a couple of reasons: 1. losing too fast would affect my milk supply, and 2. a friend of a friend, Erin, who's a nutritionist, mentioned that you can only physiologically lose two pounds of fat a week. I'm losing about 1.75 lbs. per week, so I'm pretty happy with that. My goal is to be down to my goal weight by my birthday in September, and when I get there, I'm going to get tons of awesome fall clothes. I can't wait!
  • We pulled out the exersaucer for Noah a couple of weeks ago because he was really bored with all his other toys. The funny thing was that at first it just made him frustrated, because he couldn't get the toys to his mouth (which annoyed him because typically everything goes in his mouth).

    But since then, he's decided he likes it. In fact, Smarty Pants figured out that if he pushes certain buttons, they make animal sounds. I love this video because he looks so surprised and pleased that he made the music play!



Big Things:
  • Really there's only one big thing right now: my grandpa is really ill. He's had heart trouble for nearly 25 years, and has steadily been getting weaker for the past several years. He's had bypass surgery, stints, and is on so many medications that whenever he goes to a new doctor they just tell him to keep taking what he's taking, because they don't understand it. Well, about a week ago he felt like he was having a stroke, so they called 911 and he went to the hospital. He absolutely hates the hospital, but they wouldn't let him come home until yesterday, because his blood was not thin enough yet. Apparently, they're afraid that the stroke(s) he had was just a precursor to a major one that will probably happen within the next 30 days. He is not an easy patient, because he needs to be moved every 20 minutes or so because of sciatic nerve damage, he went blind a couple of weeks ago due to botched cataract surgery, and he just hates being in the hospital. All of this makes him, well, a bit ornery. He depends heavily on my grandmother for his care, and I am pretty sure she's dead tired after the last week. So please pray for my family--for God's will regarding Papa's health, for Granny (as the main caregiver), and for the rest of the family's emotional strain as they deal with him nearly dying. (I very nearly flew home this week; that's how close it was.) Thanks much.

3 comments:

Nancy Mon said...

CourtneyS told me on Thursday about your grandfather. I have been praying for him and for your whole family.

Steve, Tracy, Wesley & Reeve said...

Oh Lauren, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I'll definitely be praying for him and your family. And congrats on those wonderful little things! Love the video of Noah in the excersaucer...what a cutie!

MB said...

Ughhh...light at 4:25am? I do not miss the East Coast! Ok... I do...I miss my New York City!!!