Sunday, May 11, 2008

My First Mother's Day

I want to wish a very Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! I feel I have a very generous spirit today and am hoping everyone has enjoyed much happiness and joy this eleventh of May. What a neat thing it is to be a mom.

This morning, Nathan got up before me (a very rare thing), and it wasn't long before I heard him banging around in the kitchen. Would you believe the guy made me breakfast? He even took Noah in there to "help" him out, which really means that he took him in there to entertain him so I could sleep longer. Now, it is a big deal for my husband to cook. He always claims he can cook, but I don't have much faith in the claim since I have rarely, if ever, seen it. (Of course, according to him, his claim is only good when it comes to camp food. That's what you get when you marry an Eagle Scout, I guess. Do you think they'll ever have a merit badge for gourmet cooking?) He made me some really yummy chocolate chip-banana pancakes. That is good stuff, my friend, and much better than camp food. It is an accomplishment that I will not let him forget, especially the next time I am in the mood for pancakes.... He also got me a really sweet card, along with some footed dessert dishes that I have been wanting for a long time. Yay!

It is nice to be a mom and be honored on Mother's Day. I didn't know it would mean so much to me, but I guess I didn't know how great it is to be a mom before, either.

So what did we do for the rest of the day? Pretty much nothing but lie on the couch and watch the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice. What a good day, right? We didn't go to church and kept it a quiet day because I have been sick. I still have not gotten over my cold, and yesterday we were out for a good bit of the day, which resulted in my losing my voice almost completely. It's so weird--it doesn't hurt, and my cough is much better, but I have no voice. Little Noah had a good day, too, and was fun to be around. And I got a really funny card from Nathan's parents and a sweet voicemail from my mom.

And a very Happy Mother's Day to Mom and Mama B., too! Y'all are very special to us.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Campfire food can be gourmet. You just have to know what you're doing. We did have to make some good stuff for the Cooking Merit Badge. There's really nothing like a good dutch oven cobbler a la mode, while sitting around a campfire on a clear night.

Amanda said...

Happy first Mother's Day! I had a really weird dream last night and you were in it. So I totally feel like we got to hang out. Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I was hoping you would have a super "first."
By the way, I have those EXACT dessert bowls and use them all the time. They are still being used after 12 years!!! Of course I have had to march on over to Crate and Barrel to replace a few broken ones...but such a great excuse to go to that cool store!

Anonymous said...

Those pancakes do sound good! And Happy Mother's Day :) It is so delightful to see what great parents you and Nathan are. I love you guys!
Deb