Thursday, October 25, 2007

Jane Eyre

I first read Jane Eyre in 9th grade English class, and I have to say, I didn't get it at all. I mean, I understood the plot, but it affected me at level zero. I've read it two or three times since then, and each time, I get more sucked into the love story. I think it has something to do with getting older and having more experience to apply to the plot and characters, but I also think it has to do with my sophistication as a reader, because I see feeling and passion in the lines that I didn't see before. I just love it. Plus, one of the reasons I've been into Victorian novels lately is because they have the best endings. They wrap everything up tidily, and they're so cathartic! Plus, it's a gothic novel, which means drama. :) And drama is fun.

I think when I first read this story at age 15, I pretty much only recognized the moral element of it. I don't want to tell much of the plot in case you want to go read it for the first time, and I would not want to take the experience and surprises away from you. But I basically thought that Jane was very good and Mr. Rochester was kind of bad, and I don't think I understood the attraction between the two of them. But now I understand them better, and the redemption at the end is just perfect. And the story is not simple or black and white. It is quite deep, and the characters and how they develop are really complicated, which makes them very real.

And honestly, I think another reason I like the book so much is that in some ways, I AM Jane Eyre. It is very fitting that I married a Brit (even though he's not, really), because I was born with this British reticence that is just part of my character. So I relate well to a lot of those English Victorian heroines. (Nathan was born in England.)


So last night I finished watching a Masterpiece Theater miniseries of Jane Eyre. Oh my gosh, people, it was SO GOOD! I'd definitely recommend it. I will say they upped the ante on the romance scenes (and no, I am not using "romance" as a euphemism for something else . . . they won't startle any innocent eyes, but they are more intense than the book). I think it is one of the few changes to a novel that works. It does update the story so that a modern viewer can relate a little better.

Anyway, rent it from Netflix when you've got a rainy day coming up and four hours with nothing to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Jane Eyre, too, and all the Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austin books but for goodness sake, Lauren, did I read that right that you like these books because there is DRAMA in them????? Hummmmmmm. Maybe I made an impression on you after all with my dramatic personality! :)
mom

Anonymous said...

I'm rereading Jane Eyre right now, and it's hard for me to get over Mr. Rochester's deceit in inviting over all his friends and Miss Ingram to make Jane jealous, and of course hiding the wife. It's still a wonderful book, but it's difficult for me to like his character in the beginning.

Deb

Lauren said...

Yes, the only thing I can figure is that he invites everyone over because he has no encouragement from Jane and doesn't know what she thinks, and he's trying to elicit some kind of response from her so he has a clue about how she feels. It is pretty unkind, though. But the whole hiding the wife in the attic thing definitely doesn't fly. :)