Thursday, April 5, 2007

Prep for Patriots' Day

So I bet many of you have never heard of Patriots' Day. Well, neither had I, before my first April in Massachusetts.

It's basically a huge Massachusetts holiday, commemorating the battle of Lexington/Concord, which started the Revolutionary War. Most people in MA have the day off from work, but that's not one of Harvard's holidays, so Nathan and I have never done anything for Patriots' Day before. However, it is a pretty big deal up here. Sort of like the Rodeo in Houston. It's a big cultural event, in part because it's also the day the Boston Marathon is held, which is also a huge deal. I have the day off this year, and I'm so pumped! We're trying to decide how to spend it.

The Boston Marathon is truly an event. Since so many people have the day off, it's very well attended--there are huge crowds the whole way along it, from what I understand, especially near the finish line, which I think is in Copley Square (in the Back Bay). Also, not just anyone can run in the Boston Marathon. You actually have to qualify for it. You have to have run in other marathons, I think, and send in your times. My friend, Brittany, ran it with her twin sister a few years ago. And to win it is a huge deal. It's usually some African runner. :) Our friends the Preskenises used to have a Marathon Monday brunch at their house every year, but unfortunately they've moved to Texas. I bet they miss that tradition!

So Nathan and I have been trying to decide what we're going to do for the holiday, and we think we've decided to go to Lexington bright and early to see the reenactment! Ha! I'm actually really looking forward to it. We're going to borrow some friends' bikes and ride up the Minuteman Trail (a 7-8 mi. bike route that leads from near our house all the way to Lexington), then arrive (hopefully) in time for the reenactment, which begins at 6am. That is WAY early for us, but it sounds like a lot of fun! That is exactly the New Englandy type of thing we have not done yet but would like to. I mean, when is the next time we're going to attend a battle reenactment? Especially a 232 year old one?

I ran across this website the other day when I googled the reenactment and thought it was kind of fun: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/patriotsday/sfeature/sf_meet.html

Don't worry. I'm sure we'll take lots of pictures of these Revolutionary War fanatics if we go. :)

Actually, I wonder about the lives of these people after looking at that last website. I mean, it's a real committment to do such a thing. To be fitted for costumes, acquire all the right accessories, grow out your mustache, learn how to shoot a musket, rehearse where you're supposed to stand (and die) on the battlefield, practice acting dead, etc. ;) It must be quite a hobby. I think it'd be fun if you were really into history.

P.S. I'm having trouble getting the link to info on the reenactment to work. If you can't load the page, go to http://ci.lexington.ma.us/Selectmen/Documents/2007%20Patriots and click on "2007 Patriots' Day Schedule."

2 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

That's the coolest thing. Well, maybe not the coolest, but it's very interesting to be able to go do something like watching a reenactment. I got very choked up when Mike and I visited D.C. a few years ago, and got to see the Declaration of Independence. I also got really choked up at the Jefferson Memorial. The inscriptions on the walls are so powerful. Enjoy your bike ride!

Lauren said...

I'm more interested in 1.) doing something outdoorsy, 2.) doing something you can't do at home, and 3.) people-watching the reenactors. It's not so much about the history for me. More about the culture, I guess. Don't think I'll get teary at the reenactment. :)