Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mmm...Pizza

I made a pretty yummy pizza tonight. It may not look like much, but it was topped with some pretty special ingredients.
After rolling out the pizza dough, I brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled it with kosher salt and pepper. Then, I added some sauteed, slightly caramelized onion (wish I had had some red onion, but I improvised with yellow); some oregano from my herb garden; sliced Prosciutto di Parma; kalamata olives; Roma tomatoes; and some really yummy gouda cheese. I bought the prosciutto and the gouda at one of my favorite markets, Russo's. The little sign for the gouda said that this particular type is rarely seen in the U.S., and that it's so good that the Dutch usually keep it for themselves. Cool! It wasn't expensive, so I bought a wedge, and, oh my, it is good. After I took it home, I was actually regretting buying a gouda, because I thought that I should have gone for a saltier cheese rather than a smoky one to go with the prosciutto. But then I tasted this gouda, and it turned out to be really strong and salty as well as smoky, so it went awesome with the prosciutto. (The particular name of this gouda is Boerenkaas, in case you're interested.)

The only thing I would have done differently on the pizza is gently sweated some garlic in the olive oil before brushing it on the pizza. I always like garlic, although the pizza was darn tasty without it. I also would have added a sprinkling of mozzarella.

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

I lerve Gouda so much. I like a chunk of it with New England Clam Chowder and a slice of sourdough bread. mmm...