Saturday, December 1, 2012

Beans and Greens Soup with Sweet Potatoes

Let's talk healthy.

Let's talk cleaning out the pantry.

Because those were my two goals with this soup.  And since it turned out well, I thought I'd write the recipe up right here so I can refer to it again and so you guys can have it, if you like.


Beans and Greens Soup with Sweet Potatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes
1 bunch of kale, ribs removed and cut into small pieces (I used a bag of prechopped kale from Trader Joe's)
1 can cannellini beans
1/4 cup black lentils (optional)
6 cups chicken broth
1 sprig rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoons salt

In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, tomato paste, and onion.  Saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.  Add the garlic and sweet potatoes and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes begin to soften.  Add the kale, cannellini beans, lentils, broth, rosemary, and bay leaves, and bring to a low boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the lentils are soft.  Add 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste.

I think this would also be good with one or two slices of bacon cooked in the pan beforehand so the veggies are cooked in the bacon fat.

Enjoy!

No comments: