Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago

Everyone remembers where they were on 9/11/01. Everyone remembers when they first heard about airplanes flying into skyscrapers. Everyone remembers the horror of seeing the images on TV--the flaming buildings; the horror of the collapses; the billowing dust and ash and debris; and ghostly humans emerging from the area covered completely in pale ash, with only their eyes gleaming a different color from their otherwise completely gray selves.

Where were you when you heard?

I was sitting in traffic on Hwy 290. On my way to class at Rice, I flipped on talk radio and heard this extraordinary report about some dramatic events in New York. At first, I thought it was just a gimmicky talk radio stunt. It took me several minutes to realize it was real. I went on to Dr. Ellenzweig's ENG 2010 class (British Literature: Chaucer to 1800) and walked in late. About half the class was at their desks, and the other latecomers were sitting on the floor near the door, so that's where I took a seat. Dr. E was asking us how we felt about the towers being hit. Although I liked and respected her, I began to urgently want to get to a news channel to see what was going on and wanted her to let us go, already. And after a few minutes, someone raised their hand and suggested just that, and she readily let us leave.

I went straight to Nathan's dorm room. He and his roommates were there on that old blue check couch, watching events unfold on TV. Shortly after I got there, one of the buildings collapsed. I felt glued to the TV in horror and watched for an hour or more, at least. I remember one specific image that was repeated over and over on the news: a businessman in a suit and tie, carrying his briefcase, completely covered in dust, wandering in a discombobulated and confused fashion. One of Nathan's roommates said, "Why do they keep showing this?" And I replied, "Because that's the perfect image of what the terrorists wanted. American capitalism confused, half destroyed, wandering in a wasteland." It was a very poignant image that is still crisply cut in my mind.

The rest of the day is a blur, but I clearly remember those two or three hours on the morning of 9/11.

On Facebook today, I asked where people were when they heard about the 9/11 attacks, and the answers were so interesting; slices of everyday life that were joltingly interrupted by major national events.

So here's another forum. I'd like to hear your story, too. If you'd like, leave a comment and recount your memory of that day ten years ago.

God bless America!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I first heard that a plane had hit the first tower on the radio-on sports talk 610-as I was driving home from taking Lindsay to school. I came inside and turned on the TV and saw the second tower hit. It was like watching a movie it seemed so unreal.I spent the next couple of hours on the phone with family and friends while I watched it all unfold. But my most vivid memory is of going to pick up Lindsay when her school decided to close early. As I pulled into the parking lot I saw the three flags (U.S., Texas and Christian) at half mast. The sight made me tear up and I had to compose myself before I went inside.

Anonymous said...

I heard that the first plane hit while I was still in bed. My husband called me and said, 'Watch the news before you go into the city. It looks like a plane crashed'. I turned on the news, went online, and there was nothing for minutes. Then I saw it. And I saw the second plane hit. I went back to New York a week later, after an entire week of watching Peter Jennings and wandering around the house aimlessly.

Bethany