After wandering in the Fellows' Garden, Deb, Nathan and I meandered around town towards Auntie's Tea Shop, where we met Matthew and Emily for lunch. Traditional English breakfasts and cream teas. Pretty delicious.
As we were making our way to lunch, I took a couple of pictures.
As we were making our way to lunch, I took a couple of pictures.
Just your normal view while walking down the street.
A really cool puzzle of the map of Cambridge as it has changed through the centuries. The puzzle has four layers. Nifty!
There's been a bookstore on this site for 800 years.
After lunch, we headed off to do the most touristy thing possible: the double decker bus tour.
Jesus Lock, where Deb fell in when she was a preschooler.
Twins.
The Round Church, which is the second oldest church in Cambridge (built in the 1130). It was built by men returning from the Crusades.
I took a quick picture of this street sign, Belmont Place, because it reminded us of our old home in Belmont, MA.
See those little brown houses down on the left? They were built at least a couple hundred years ago for servants. They're very small, have no upstairs, and have only one or two bedrooms. And one sold a couple of years ago for something like 300,000 pounds.
Emmanuel College, where John Harvard was a student.
There's an American Memorial Cemetery in Cambridge, which honors the airmen who died in WWII, many of whom were based in England.
A view of King's College Chapel from The Backs.
As I mentioned before, the bus tour was fun (how can it not be when you ride on top?--a circumstance of which Noah is jealous), but the most interesting info came from the people who have lived in Cambridge a long time. I'm sure that some of those fun tidbits will pop up in subsequent posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment