Friday, July 15, 2011

Clare College Bridge and Fellows' Garden

Later that same day, Nathan, Deb, and I wandered around and ended up walking through Clare College and across its bridge.

Punters!

This bridge has spheres on it, and a childhood memory of Nathan's is finding the sphere with a missing wedge.

"Where the heck is the wedge?!"

After crossing the bridge, we happened upon the Clare Fellows' Garden, which Nathan's dad later told us is one of the nicest gardens in Cambridge. We thought it was lovely, and there were surprises around every bend. It runs along the river, as you can see below.
Actually, as we were leaving, there was a punter who had gotten caught up against the bank. We offered to give him a push, but he declined, saying, "This is half the fun!"

Us.
There were two Welshmen in their 60's or so who asked us to take their picture at this same spot. They were a hoot. The first one said, "Can you take a picture of me and my da', please?" To which the other one laughed and later said, "Didn't you know this is Billy Elliot's da'?" They were fun.

Nathan being Nathan.

Deb being cute.

A gnarly tree.

I love these stairs. Very picturesque.


If I ever have an extensive garden, I'd love to plan it so that it, too, has lots of surprises, depending on your perspective. I like that these hedges, for example, give you a peek of what's inside, but that you have no inkling that . . .

. . . it opens up into something like this.

Thanks for the loveliness, Clare College!

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

english gardens are fantastic.