Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Heights Fun Run 5K

Last Saturday, we ran a 5K in Houston's Heights neighborhood. We ran down along Heights Blvd., which is lined with Victorian homes (some of the very few in the Houston area), so the run itself was fairly pretty. However, it was incredibly hot. (Two days later, Houston set a heat record with a high of 104. YUCK.) Nathan and I agreed that while we were running, the heat was tolerable since you kind of create your own breeze when you're moving. But oh my goodness--when I crossed that finish line, the humidity and stillness of the air made it feel so stinkin' hot. Poor Nathan really felt awful at the end of the race. And both our times were disappointing, although I don't know how Nathan can be too disappointed in a time of less than 22 minutes. As for me, I think I'm getting slower. Ha! Actually, I think I will blame it on the humidity.

Noah ran a race that morning, too! They had a 1K for kids. He is actually a good little runner, so we have been excited about signing him up for a race. Nathan ran it with him, and what was so funny was that he just wove around so much. No straight lines for Noah. He ran up onto the median, back into the street, cut across in front of a couple of people, etc. Generally, he went forward, but he did do a lot of, well, shall we call it "lateral work"? He also wore out about 2/3 of the way through, so Nathan carried him for a little bit, but it was Noah's feet that carried him across the finish line.

We did take a muscle picture of the three of us, but, alas, it didn't turn out. Boo. However, these pics of Noah are pretty great.

Go, Buddy, go! Looking good!

Working hard

Walking with Daddy

Crossing the finish line

Receiving his ribbon

Hooray for the finishers!

No comments: