Monday, June 14, 2010

Late Night Reflections on Moving

So when is the last time I let a week go between posts? Probably never! Maybe over Christmas, but I don't think it was that long even then. I enjoy writing on this here blog, so my lapse just goes to show you how busy I've been!

Truly, I'm doing something from the moment I get up until I lie down at night, with the exception of about an hour late in the evenings when Nathan and I sit down to be brainless together while watching TV. I even need to make it a point to start getting up earlier, because there are some things that I just cannot fit in before both kids are up right now, and if they don't get done first thing in the morning, they ain't going to get done at all.

Other than just keeping the basic things going (and I do mean basic; I have only cooked one meal in the last week, and we are getting sick of fast food), I have been unpacking and organizing our house. But I'm sad to say that, honestly, if you walked in right now, you wouldn't think that anything is organized. There are boxes everywhere in the living room (which has no furniture at present), and although a couple of rooms have nearly everything put away, they still look very unfinished. Noah's room needs curtains, a lamp, and a rug; Jane's room hasn't been touched, since she is still sleeping in our room; the den/dining room is the most put together but is still cluttered; and I don't even want to talk about the master bedroom. It just takes a long time to get everything out of the boxes and where it belongs, especially when you need to wash all your clothes (we had moths in our last place).

However, the biggest holdup is just having two small kids. Being an infant, Jane needs attention very often--eating, being put to sleep, rocking, changing her seat, etc. And if she doesn't need something, Noah does. So the constant tending of children really makes the unpacking process go slowly. Today, Nathan and I were laughing as we listened to my parents try to field both Noah and Jane while my dad fixed something on Noah's bed. Noah was just constantly all up in his business. Nathan and I looked at each other and chuckled, agreeing that now my parents understood why we asked them to come over to hang out with the kiddos today so we could get stuff done.

The pantry is probably the only part of the house that is completely done. I have to say that I've been blessed with two amazingly large pantries--this one doesn't have a window in it, like my last one, but it is still ridiculously huge, and for that I am very thankful. Anyway, because it's all organized, I walk in there and feel a little sigh of relief. For a brief moment, the world is right. The spices sit in nice rows. The cake pans are lined up in a lovely way. There are no boxes. There are no toys. There is no dirt. There is nothing that needs to be picked up or moved or put away or cleaned. I love my pantry.

I must go to bed now. More later. Sleep. Is. Required.

2 comments:

Nancy Mon said...

So glad to hear an update from you. I miss your postings. It will all get done and put away...then it will be time to move again. :) Just kidding with you. Welcome back to Houston!

Amanda said...

I've missed you! Have I invited you to our Sunday school class yet? Curtis is teaching it. Let me know if you're planning on visiting HFBC and I'll give you details. I hope to see you soon!