While I was in Houston, I had a nice chat with my grandfather. He was telling me about his men's Bible study that's held at the house on Friday mornings. Well, to be more correct, it's an old men's Bible study. All of the members are at least eighty.
Papa was telling me about how one of them had fallen asleep the week before, right in the middle of Bible study. He said he was afraid the man would fall out of his chair. Now, you could see that as kind of sad, but the truth is that I hope that is me someday. These men don't just do some watered-down or simple kind of Bible study. At eighty years old, in failing health, they are still meeting not only to give and partake of fellowship, but to earnestly seek the Lord. They are tackling controversial issues and discussing them in detail (and since they come from slightly different denominational backgrounds, they often disagree). But the point is that they are still thinking. They are still considering. They are still digging. I love the earnestness that is evident in their attitude.
My grandpa just started a blog as a way to publish his sonnets. I looked at it today and read his profile, and he talks about how God performed a miracle by restoring his sight. He must have mentioned it to me at least five times the week we were there. Eventually, I realized that God really touched his soul when He touched his eyes. He has just about made it his mission to tell everyone what God did, and that is pretty darn cool.
"A second time they summoned the man who had been blind. 'Give glory to God,' they said."
John 9:24a
1 comment:
Lauren. I love his blog.
Post a Comment