Well, school starts tomorrow, which means that today is the very last day of summer.
I am not really ready for school to start. That is to say, I have everything in order, we have all of Noah's school supplies, his backpack is packed, his uniform is clean, and I have even looked over this week's curriculum. But I do not really feel ready. Life is about to get really busy, and I haven't really wrapped my mind around it all yet!
We've been so nice and laid back this summer. After school ended last year, I was just so relieved not to have to get three kids out the door at 7:30, and that, all by itself, made life at our house a little more fun. But once June hit, I suddenly realized that I need to make sure this summer is super fun! Summer's a mentality, not just a season, right? So I made an effort to be more open to saying yes to just a few more messy play ideas and more intentional about getting some planned fun in while we had the chance.
To that end, Noah, Jane, and I sat down and made a Summer Fun List. It included suggestions from them as well as me, and, happily, we have been able to check every single thing off (the zoo is forthcoming).
The Summer Fun List was a huge hit with the kids. Every day, Noah would ask, "Mom, can we do the next thing on our list today?" And both of them loved checking things off as we did them. We'll have to make this a summer tradition.
And speaking of traditions, I'm intentionally trying to think up and incorporate traditions in our household. For example, we have a cake (or half a cake) on each of the kids' half birthdays. We also had a cake when Noah read his first book (a very simple reader, but we definitely wanted to celebrate!). And here are my two newest ones: a family game night on the last night of summer, and pink frog on the first day of school. Even the little things will make good memories, don't you think?
Happy Almost-Fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment