Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Grand Marnier Orange Cake

This recipe is adapted from one that I found in a little booklet that came with one of my kitchen appliances way back when we first got married.  I've made it many times, and it is always a hit.  It's very sweet, and has a very fragrant orange flavor that everyone seems to love.

Plus, I love a bit of booze in my cakes.  This is the first recipe I ever used with alcohol in it, and I've loved the twist ever since. 

One handy thing about this cake is that it's suitable for either a Bundt pan or two 9" round pans, which gives it some versatility.  I can either make a two layer frosted birthday cake, as I did for Nathan, or I can make it in my rose Bundt pan and put a glaze on top for a real showstopper.

It's also very easy--a near cheat--since it is just a gussied up cake mix.

Here you go!

-----

Grand Marnier Orange Cake
with Grand Marnier Glaze or Frosting

Cake:
1 package white cake mix
3 oz. orange flavored gelatin
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, softened
1-1/3 cups orange juice
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier

Beat ingredients in a large bowl and bake according to package instructions.

--

Grand Marnier Glaze:
*I actually haven't tested this glaze with Grand Marnier; only with bourbon.  I think it should work, though.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier

Combine the butter, sugar, and Grand Marnier in a small saucepan over low heat just until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, whisking to combine.  Pour over the cake while the glaze is still warm.  (This is a fair amount of glaze; if you want to use all of it, you might pour half over, let it set, warm up the remaining glaze, then pour the rest over.)

--

Grand Marnier Buttercream Frosting:
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
1 tablespoon orange zest
1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk

In a medium sized bowl, beat together the sugar and butter.  Add the Grand Marnier and orange zest.  Add cream or milk a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is the right consistency.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Commenting just because I love the line, "Plus I love a bit ofbooze in my cakes."

Lauren said...

What's REALLY scary is that Noah loves it, too. I made a bourbon cake with a really boozy glaze for another birthday celebration, and I gave the kids small slices, thinking they wouldn't like it. Noah LOVED it.

Rebecca said...

I love orange cake, I'll have to try this. (I'm so hungry right now!)