Thursday, January 10, 2013

Gymnastics

Noah started gymnastics this week.  He's a little bit happy about it.  Can you tell?
We knew we wanted to get him started in some kind of extra-curricular, but we weren't sure which one.  His school offers a fine arts course after school, but, as Nathan pointed out, this kid needs to be active.  So we chose gymnastics.  Nathan, who played college baseball, has always said that taking gymnastics as a kid taught him how to fall well (I'm sure it also helped him develop some strength and flexibility, too).  So we thought this would be a good form of athletics to start Noah off in.

We got the recommendation for this gymnastics school from a school friend.  I think I may have signed him up for the wrong class, though; he was clearly behind the other kids, most of whom were older than he is.  But there was a smile plastered on his face almost the entire time.

Here he is, being taught how to do a cartwheel.  First, they figured it out which foot he should start on (usually opposite from your dominant hand), drew a smiley face on it, then worked with him to teach him how to put his hands down, flip his body over, etc.  He still hasn't gotten it, but he will.
At one point, he fell on the top of his head while trying to do a forward roll.  He came up crying--the kind of cry where his face crumpled up and made his mama want to go scoop him up.  But the coach told him that he'd be okay and actually helped him to shake it off by calling him "Noah Crasher."  Noah was laughing about this every time he brought it up the rest of the day.

 Here he is showing you his "wall crawl," which he also learned to do on the first day.
I decided I'd give it a try, alongside Noah and Jane, when we got home.  Doesn't look hard.  Probably isn't hard.  But I was reminded real quick about how this last pregnancy destroyed my abs when I tried!  I'm going to have to start working on my core strength again, big time.

He had a great time, and I'm excited for him to be starting something athletic.  Go Noah!

-----

Bonus Pic: a Darth Vader tattoo


No comments: