Hooray!!!
Texans, get excited. Especially those of you in Dallas, where they're going first (but they'll also be heading to Houston and Austin). Once you have a Trader Joe's, you may forever be hooked on their incredibly superior Trader Joe's Almond Butter (Creamy with Sea Salt, if you please) and two-buck-Chuck ($2 Charles Shaw wine). Here's my description of Trader Joe's, in a nutshell: They have good, interesting, natural/organic, quality food, but they are unpretentious and inexpensive. It's kind of like a cross between Whole Foods and HEB, except quirkier.
When we visited the Drolets in Tucson a while back, April was kind enough to make sure to include a trip to their Trader Joe's while I was there. I scooped up all the groceries that I thought I could fit in my suitcase, and while I was checking out, I could not contain myself and said to the cashier (like an idiot, but at least a happy one), "I'm just so glad to be here! I used to live in Boston, but now I live in Texas where there are no Trader Joe's, and I miss it so much!" To which she gave an unimaginable reply: "Yes, people come here from Texas to shop sometimes." "What?" "Yeah, like people from west Texas. They always say they wish Trader Joe's would come to Texas."
Well, folks, if people drive from west Texas clear across New Mexico and all the way to Tucson, Arizona to shop at Trader Joe's--which is just nuts--then I guess I may be excused for being a little giddy about their coming to Houston.
4 comments:
Woohoo!
So I've never been to a Trader Joe's but I've heard such great things about them. Dallas is all abuzz with the news! I can't wait!
I'm happy for you! I also totally get having big love for grocery stores - Central Market is my one true love and no other grocery store can ever measure up :) We don't shop at TJ's very often, but I like their reasonably priced nuts and spices (saffron!).
Too funny! I think I got just as excited when I found out the news. I was tired of reading blogs where people talked about all the great deals they received on healthy food :)
Post a Comment