Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I Love The Sound of Music More Than I Thought

Our seventh wedding anniversary is coming up in a few days. We had such a pretty wedding. I know I'm biased, but really, even now I don't think I would change anything.

You know what's so funny? Several months ago, I watched The Sound of Music, and I noticed something I've never noticed before. Now, I grew up on that movie. I remember actually playing a record of it in my room at a time when I couldn't have been more than four or five years old. I've loved it for a long, long time and seen it many, many times. So imagine my surprise and amusement when it got to the wedding scene and I realized something:
I patterned my wedding after the wedding scene from The Sound of Music! And I didn't even know it!
Oh my goodness, y'all. I had no idea how much that wedding scene had sunk into my little brain all those times I watched it as a child. Evidently, Maria's wedding is my ideal.

Okay, are you ready for this? Here are the similarities:
  1. Ball gown
  2. Train on the gown
  3. Cathedral length veil (longer than the gown)
  4. I very nearly bought a dress with long sleeves
  5. High church feel: center aisle; tall, stained glass windows; formal
  6. Organ
  7. I even tried to hire a choir
Here's the video from the movie:



And here is a picture from our wedding:


The funny thing is that The Sound of Music never even popped into my head while I planned our wedding. Things just kind of fell into place the way they did; I just liked the Cathedral length veil. I just liked the high church feel of the sanctuary where we had the ceremony. And I still think they're beautiful. But this sure does amuse me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are a few of my favorite things!
Mom