Monday, November 15, 2010

Transitions and the Doggie Paddle

Howdy y'all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but my blog posts have spread out a bit, especially over the last month or two. In fact, October 2010 had the fewest posts since I started my blog in 2007. I just haven't had the time/energy to sit down and write as often lately. And that made me start to reflect a bit.

It galvanized some thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head for a while. In general, since our move and the addition of a second child, I just haven't found my groove. I feel like I'm doggie paddling, struggling to keep my head above water (and dipping under from time to time--especially this past summer), and I can't seem to transition to a nice, steady breaststroke. I just can't seem to find my rhythm; there hasn't been a time since Jane was born that I've been able to just coast, you know?

I was telling a couple of friends about this, and I think I'm not the only one who feels this way. Courtney often calls it her "new normal," for example. Life with two small children is just busy; there is no getting around it. I remember listening to lectures at Mom to Mom, back when I only had one baby, and various speakers would often sympathetically talk about what an important job you have, even when you can't find time to brush your teeth or when you don't get out of your pajamas all day. I would sit there thinking, "Really? Really, are some people like that?" And, okay, to be honest, there still has not been a day when I didn't get my teeth brushed. But the difference is that I can truly see now how it could happen!

So I'm getting used to life with two kiddos. It's a transition, but that's not to say that life at our house isn't fun; I enjoy my Noah (who is getting funnier and smarter all the time) and my Jane (who is super active and follows us all around the house now). They are jewels, and I would not trade this job for anything else. It is the most rewarding and joyful thing I've ever done. But I do feel like I am still in transition. I still kind of feel like I'm trying to find my feet.

I'm not fretting about this as much as it might seem, but it has been on my mind. And I decided to write about it because I'm sure some of you out there can relate. If so, tell me about your experience; are you currently in this season of life and are feeling the same way? Are you a little ahead of me and can offer some nugget of advice that will help me find that breaststroke? Are you an experienced mom who can offer some encouragement to the rest of us? I'm looking forward to your comments!

No comments: