Sunday, January 10, 2010

Girl Names

Nathan and I have yet to settle on a name for our baby girl. We were just discussing tonight how we have a couple of favorites, but we're not ready to settle down and choose one yet. So I thought I'd ask you what you think.

Here are some names we like (in no particular order, for any of you who might be trying to guess which ones are highest on our list right now!):

Emma
Ella
Miriam
Elizabeth
Jane
Caroline
Evangeline
Lilah
Lydia
Lily
Susannah

A few things:
-I prefer names that are feminine and definitely for a girl, not names that could also be used for a boy.
-I tend to like classic names that are kind of elegant.
-I much prefer names that actually mean something.
-I'm interested in any other pretty biblical names you might come up with.
-I'm toying with the idea of a two-syllable name with either a "b" or an "n" in it, but I haven't found a ringer yet (two syllables because Lauren, Nathan, and Noah all have two syllables, and b's and n's because I think they go nicely with "Benesh").

As you can see, we have a ways to go to make a decision in the short amount of time we have left (only 7 weeks until the due date!).

Does all of that give you an idea of the type of names we like? If so, please leave a comment with suggestions. No promises, but I'm interested to see what you come up with. :)

17 comments:

april said...

In looking at biblical names, you have Hannah, Sarah, Rachel, Leah (Lia), and Rebecca. I also love classic names that aren't biblical: Eleanor, Sophie, Stella, Emily.

april said...

BTW, of the names you listed, I like Caroline best :)

Stephanie said...

I'm with April voting for Caroline! I love it and I really routed for it with Anna, but Simon ruled it out. That's my vote. :)

Leigh Ehrhardt said...

I like Caroline, Lily and Elizabeth. I would especially like Elizabeth shortened to Libby. I think Libby Benesh has a nice ring to it. And, there don't seem to be lots of Libbys around right now.

Joy, Peace and Love said...

Lydia Christine Benesh
Lilly Beth Benesh
Anna Elizabeth Benesh
Jane Elizabeth Benesh
Lydia Joy Benesh (from Fay)
Leah Christine Benesh

I like them all! Whatever you decide will be beautiful :)
mom

Amanda said...

I love the Elizabeth/Libby combo that has been suggested. My childhood ballet teacher was Ms. Libby and I have always loved that name. Lily sounds so good too. I love the "L" sound with Benesh. Annabeth was going to be Noelle but we changed our minds because it sounds terrible with Jones. I was going to suggest it to you but it's a bit weird with Noah!

Stephanie Chapman said...

Have you thought about Naomi? I may use it some day but I'll loan it to you :P

Andrew said...

I like:
Evangeline
Abigail (Abby for short)
Susannah
Emma
Leah
Katherine, or any variation of that

Katie said...

I am a big fan of Kathryn (this is my preferred spelling :)

I like Caroline as well. A friend of mine had a little girl almost 2 years ago and used that name and I thought it was very classy.

I love Lia (spelled this way)-either Lia Grace or Lia Faith.

It would be cool to go with an L name because then the girls would both be L's and the boys would both be N's.

I like Emma and Paige-as well as the combo Emma Paige!

Libby is cute too-that was one of the names my mom wanted for my sister.

I know whatever you choose-it will be great!

Andrew said...

Huh...so that list definitely had a subconscious slip in it. My biggest college interest was a Leah Katherine. Weird.

Emily Benesh said...

So, Ella, Caroline, and Lilah get my votes. I would love to name a little girl Jane Mabry Benesh, but since you're actually expecting, I guess you get dibs. :) Oh, and I still like Evangeline if you call her Eva. Tough decisions! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I love Jane, Evangeline, and Caroline. Also Charlotte is kinda cool! If you call her Chuck, that is :)

Aunt Deb

Lauren said...

Chuck?!

nathan said...

I think that was a reference to the show "Pushing Daisies" (Charlotte, the lead female/love interest/revived dead person goes by 'Chuck').
=)

Anonymous said...

Point for Nate! :)

Deb

Unknown said...

I have the perfect name that meets 4.33333 of your criteria:

Hephzibah
(Isaiah 62:4)

Meaning: my delight is in her

I think it is just a matter of time before this becomes a very popular name. You can start the trend.

Liz said...

I'm glad to see some of my suggestions made the list! the only bad thing about my name (the best one on there) is that it's 4 syllables and 9 letters, which the people who made the stupid scantrons obviously didn't consider common b/c there's only 8 spaces for your first name (and like 100 for your last name!). So when i take a standardized test i am always "Elizabet."