Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Boy Does Love Trains.

This afternoon, we took an impromptu jaunt to the Oktoberfest in Harvard Square. This year, we saw a sign for train rides, and we knew immediately that we would HAVE to do it. Noah loves trains, after all. I hear "choo choo" at least a couple dozen times a day. In fact, yesterday we actually saw the commuter rail coming into our town, and I made a quick U-turn to drive by the station in time to see it loading and unloading the passengers. It was the highlight of Noah's day, and every time I reminded him of it that evening, he sucked in his breath as if speaking about something awe-inspiring. It's cute.

Anyway, so we kept a sharp eye out for the train to arrive back at the sign, and sure enough, after a few minutes, it showed up.


Noah and me, waiting for the ride to begin:

The whole time, Noah didn't act terribly excited. I thought this was a little strange, considering his enthusiasm for trains. I kept telling him that now we'll know what it's like to ride in a train when we watch Thomas, I hummed along with the Thomas & Friends theme song when it came on, and I just generally tried to get him excited about riding on the train. But he didn't really react; he just sat there and rode quietly.

But boy, when we had to get off--that's when the drama began. I literally had to drag him off kicking and screaming. I gotta say, it can't be a pretty sight to see a pregnant woman carrying a kicking toddler. Anyway, it turned out that he loved the train ride. He talked about that five-minute ride all night long. It's kind of funny, but he has that reaction to swinging, too--you can't really tell at the time whether or not he's enjoying it, but if you stop, he makes it clear that he wants to keep going.

Anyway, that train ride had to be the highlight of his weekend. :)

No comments: