Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Hope I Never.

I have never had someone be so rude to me in a grocery store parking lot as this morning.

We are skipping church today because Noah still has a runny nose, and we didn't want him to give whatever he's got to the other kids in the nursery (especially since we think he got his cold there in the first place). So this morning, Noah and I ended up making a quick run to the grocery store to pick up a few items.

To unload, I parked the cart alongside my car rather than behind it, because the parking spot next to mine was empty. I then opened the door to the backseat so I could buckle Noah in, and the way things were situated, the cart was beyond my open door--basically, I couldn't have been any more out of the way and still buckled Noah in, because that door would have had to have been open, anyway. As I was working on getting him into his car seat, I heard some honking. "Surely no one is honking at me," I thought, "especially since there are other vacant parking spots."

But the honking continued, so I backed out of the car and looked to see that an old lady in a minivan was honking at me, obviously waiting for the spot next to mine. She rolled down her window and called out, irritated, "Are you leaving?" "Obviously," I thought, "considering the cart of groceries here." What I actually said was, "Yes." "Can you move your cart?!" was the reply. "Yes, but you'll have to wait a minute," I said. At this point, I was pretty annoyed at her rude tone and the fact that she had been honking at me, which, when I leaned into the car to finish buckling Noah in, she continued to do.

When I again got out of the car, she called out to me again, rudely, "CAN YOU MOVE?!" I said, very irritated now, "Yes, but you will have to wait while I buckle my son in the car." Then, the woman had the nerve to lean out her other window and address the kid collecting the carts: "Can you come get this from her?!" she said, to which I responded, "I am still unloading." I had all of three bags in my cart. Seriously.

At this point, she had pulled as far into the vacant spot as she could, which effectively pinned the cart between my car and hers, which meant I couldn't move it if I had wanted to. So once I finished unloading, I waited for her to move her car, and once she did, I rolled the cart over to the kid who was waiting for it.

As I did so, the woman said, "I don't have time for this! I'm on my way to CHURCH!"

Oh my goodness. God, keep me from ever behaving like that then announcing I was on my way to church. What a witness. I left angry and disappointed at the same time. Although in retrospect, I am kind of glad she treated me that way rather than someone who was not a Christian.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren--
We've all been on the receiving end of such amazing scenarios.
A wise person once told me that when someone reacts to you like that, it speaks volumes about them, and actually has very little to do with you.
I'm impressed you had the quickness of thought to pray!

Love you--mama b

Nancy Mon said...

I just think she was made cause she's driving a mini van. There is just something about mini vans that brings out the worst in people. :)

FitzandMolly said...

I've never acted that way in public, but how many times have I been terrible at home to my family - and they KNOW I go to church! ouch.

Sabrina said...

Oh my word. Lauren, that is just terrible. I am sorry that you had to experience that, and on a Sunday! I am proud that you had the patience not to snap back as I am afraid I would have. At least you were being a good witness.

Unknown said...

Um, I did snap back a little bit, Sabrina. She really nettled me. And Courtney, good point.