Sunday, January 14, 2007

Apple Picking

If you've never gone to pick your own fruit, you're missing out! I've now been blueberry picking and apple picking, and I've got to say that the fruit is amazingly better when you've picked it fresh. (I'd definitely recommend picking apples over picking blueberries, though--way less labor-intensive!)This September I went with my friend, Tracy, to Honeypot Farms, near Boston. We picked mostly Cortland apples, which are my favorites now because they're sweet and they don't turn brown.


It was a lovely late September day, sunny and warm. You take a bucket with you on the hayride out to the rows of trees, where you then pick as many apples as you can carry (and eat as many as you can while you're out in the orchard:). Because of the fallen apples and discarded cores on the ground, the entire place smells like fermenting apples, which is not a bad thing. To pick the apples, you just roll the fruit upwards toward the branch, and if it's ripe, it comes right off. It was an overall charming experience, and it'll have to become one of our New England traditions. Plus, there's nothing better than fresh apple cider!

1 comment:

Steve, Tracy, Wesley & Reeve said...

What a fun day that was! I couldn't agree more about fresh picked apples - I miss them already. The ones here in the groccery store just don't compare. :(
Great blog by the way! Miss you!